Parents Displaying/storing your gymnast's memorabilia?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think the medal displays are an emphasis on memories not placements. Most meets my DD has attended have had placements for half plus one. So, yeah a lot of girls are getting medals, but a lot aren't too. At meets where my DD gets medals, she is so excited to have them and display them- whether for 3rd place (highest she's ever placed) or ninth (lowest place they've gone to that she got a medal for). When she is on the wrong side of half, she's still excited to have memorabilia. She displays the score cards or programs. She also has a memory book where she records the funniest, most exciting, most challenging part of each meet. That book doesn't even contain scores, just specifics and feelings. Long story short, you can appreciate the medals and not be putting an emphasis on placements.

This is also a good point also about the medals. I asked DD about it, and she does want all her medals up on display for now. We'll see if she becomes more selective as she continues on in the sport.

Is her memory book just a regular journal? I've been thinking DD should do something like this at some point.

This is also a good point also about the medals. I asked DD about it, and she does want all her medals up on display for now. We'll see if she becomes more selective as she continues on in the sport.

Is her memory book just a regular journal? I've been thinking DD should do something like this at some point.
It's one I bought her that was made for gymnastics. It has a page for individual meets with prompts for things to include. She enjoys it and it has lasted two seasons and she still loves it, so I'd say it was a good buy for us.

Holy cow. That's a lot of medals and paraphernalia. How long has your kiddo been competing?
DD started in the old level 2 in 2010, and now just finished her level 8 season. She is on to filling up her 3rd curtain rod. I joke that we will be hanging the rod from the ceiling very soon. It is harder to get medals in the optional levels as the range of age group widen and the number of gymnasts increase in each age group. She loves to tell stories about her medals and places she had been to her non-gym friends when they come and sleep over.

I like this for "archiving" older medals and ribbons. I think DD would like to have the current and last year's stuff on the walls for inspiration. Maybe a simple curtain rod will do for that.
Yes, we display the current years ribbons, medals, awards, and then all previous years go in the awards keeper. 6-8 meets a year, x up to 5 medals or ribbons, x 5 years of competing, is a lot of stuff to display.

I guess we are lazy. No sorting or storing or labeling. DH got a big board and attached large coat hooks. All medals have gone here from the beginning. Now into multi-year level 10, it's getting quite full but should have room for another couple of years until college.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back