Parents Displaying/storing your gymnast's memorabilia?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Really

Proud Parent
This year was DD's first year competing as level 2. We've acquired a few medals and those cards with the scores and ribbons stapled on. Since she's moving up to level 3 this summer, I imagine we'll be having more of those in years to come. My question for other parents is, how do you display or store your gymnast's medals, ribbons and photos? Looking for something attractive but not super labor-intensive (I am not a scrapbooker... YET!) Anyone have advice or inspiration?

This year was DD's first year competing as level 2. We've acquired a few medals and those cards with the scores and ribbons stapled on. Since she's moving up to level 3 this summer, I imagine we'll be having more of those in years to come. My question for other parents is, how do you display or store your gymnast's medals, ribbons and photos? Looking for something attractive but not super labor-intensive (I am not a scrapbooker... YET!) Anyone have advice or inspiration?
I'm in the same boat as you as far as it being our first year in competition. I haven't done it yet but I would like to put small shelves up around my daughter's room, a shelf for each level that would hold her trophies and small effects and little screw hooks along the sides of the shelf to hang the ribbons. That's the plan for now.

My DD has a large cork board to pin cards, photos, and ribbons to, a small shelf for trophies (this is mostly dance and cheer trophies), and two medal racks for medals. One rack spells out Xcel- for her first year- and the other is just a generic gymnast for this year. Be warned, the stuff adds up quick. This is just two years of being a middle to bottom of the pack gymnast. I can't imagine if she started young or was a phenom.

This is a crappy pic because she's still asleep as I snuck in her room without waking her, but you get the idea. Obviously medals were much harder to come by in optionals than Xcel, lol, but she'll keep adding to that one.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1460566472.692015.jpg

I log all her scores in a spread sheet with placement and level. Dates, place. And anything work noting good and not so good. Like fall on BWO on beam. Timing on floor great.

All trophies and medals get labeled, name, meet, year, level, score, place. They actually are used for end of yearbook pictures and picture day is a bit chaotic (thats why we label)

Take a picture of the scorecards. After that they are all over the place her room, on our kitchen board, still in the car.
Pic with any awards at the meet
And can be made into a scrapbook/album
Current seasons awards get displayed.

Rest are hanging on her bed post, to eventually migrate to storage. And will be leaving the building when she does. :cool:

I have a little rack that I think was meant for tools or something... got it for about $8 at Home Depot. I hang all my medals on there... and then I have a small hook screwed in next to my bed that all my first place medals go on :) I have a cork board that I put pictures, ribbons, and score cards on of that current year. Each year I put the stuff on that board into a little box in my closet, it gets full quick!! We put my trophies on the top of my bookshelf.

A couple years ago I found a shelf with the coat hooks on it at Hobby Lobby or some other craft store. I painted it white, sprayed it with hot pink spray paint glitter (yes they make it lol ;) and added the star embellishments I made out of wood. One says her nick name and other says "reach for the stars with your toes". I also added big blingy fake gems as you can see.

This is a pretty large shelf, but she is at max capacity lol... It's time i probably rotate her level 3 and 4 medals to make room for any new ones. The sucker is heavy! The shelf on top is nice because she can put the rare trophy, shout outs, score cards etc. up there...

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1460569814.336231.jpg

I got DS a really cool shelf from Etsy for his birthday. It has a shelf for trophies and four rods to hang medals. You can customize the shelf and rod colors (he chose a black shelf with red, blue, green, and yellow rods to represent the Olympic rings colors). I added a small cork board above the shelf for scorecards, ribbons, etc.

Here's what it looks like: https://www.etsy.com/listing/224437351/lime-green-trendy-trophy-display-for

Curtain rod works great and can hold TONS of ribbons and medals.

I like that... I am a detail nut, not ocd, but I was stressed about how to make something that would allow each medal from each meet to be seen, rather than just lay on top of one another. Currently we have a dozen or so hangers filled with hardware and one of the shelves in her desk dedicated to trophies. I really wish I had been better about logging which medals went with each meet when she was just starting out, right now the hangers have multiple meets and many of the gyms used the same trophy shop. :(

I built a custom display case for od when she got her black belt... but that was easy... I knew how many belts she had.

I display her current year medals on a medal hanger. One hook for each meet. It's really fun for her to fill it up as the year progresses. Then, after the season is over, I tie the medals for each meet in a semi-loose knot to keep them together and then put each meet's medals in a ziploc. I then put the medals, the meet programs, judges score cards and her USAG magazines in a 12x12 archival box that I get at Hobby Lobby. There's a spot on the front to put a label for the year.

Trophies go on shelves in her room.

Before we moved last year, both gymnasts had dowel rods with all their medals hanging on them. It's been two seasons now since we moved(just over a year) and honestly, they don't care about the medals. They get thrown down in a pile. I've been trying to keep them sorted so that we can hang them up again, but who knows when that will happen?? They really don't care about the medals now. Both are training level 10 and have other things to focus on.

I did used to laugh at the tiny medal holders you would see for sale at comps. When you have the potential to get 7 medals at a meet(boys) or 5 at a girls, they add up quickly.

My son says that when he retires, he's going to melt his down and make a statue. It's quite possible...He has a lot of medals...

Land of Nod makes some really cute hooks that you can drill right into the wall. They come in several different colors and styles and we have found that they hold up very well to the weight of the medals, even if we put a lot of medals on one hook. For the trophies, we have had the best luck with the Pottery Barn floating shelves. Very sturdy and deep and can hold a lot of trophies. Unfortunately we had this setup in our old house so I don't have any pictures.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back