Fair price?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
So for those of you that don't know, i tore my ACL in January and got surgery in March. Tword the end of April I started coming to the gym to condition. We weren't sure how much to pay so because i wasn't being coached, i was just taking up space. So my mom decided that half of the original amount would be the decent thing to do (But I found it ridiculous. I was only going about 4 hours a week and she was paying as if i was going double to triple that.) She talked to my coach and they said 9 dollars an hour would be ok. Personally I find this amount steep for what i am doing. I warm up with my team and then go to strap bar, and after I condition, this whole process takes only about 2 hours and I rarely need my coach. So is it just me being crazy or is that really too much to be paying?

Don't know much about the money/business aspect of gym, but a reduced rate that goes by the hour seems pretty fair to me. You're paying to use the equipment, much like people pay for regular gym memberships to work out in.

I think any reduced rate the gym is willing to give you is a gift. In dd's gym, if you're there training/conditioning, you're paying full tuition. The gym relies on your tuition to pay the coaches and the bills, regardless of whether you're with the group or not. Her gym will work with families for extended injury absences (like what you had) but once a girls starts to go back to gym, they start paying regular price again.

If the 9 dollars an hour your gym suggested works out to less than the 1/2 of your regular monthly fee that your mom suggested, I would pay it, smile and go about your business. To me, paying 1/2 seems fair. Keep in mind that team rates are generally lower because everyone pays regardless of whether or not they are at practice.

I hope you're healed and back to regular practices soon!

9$ an hour seems reasonable to me, at least in this area. Our local areas open gyms run anywhere from 7-11$ for an hour. And that kind of sounds like what your doing now.

$9 per hour is cheap. You are still going to the gym the coach is there and shouldn't expect to be paid less because you are hurt or not there. The coach is still there doing her time no matter who shows up or not. If you are paying less than 1/2 its a huge gift to you guys. even 1/2 would be a huge gift. The expenses of running the gym and having a team don't change because one gymnast is injured and can only be there a limited amount of time.

Hope you heal quickly.

Don't know much about the money/business aspect of gym, but a reduced rate that goes by the hour seems pretty fair to me. You're paying to use the equipment, much like people pay for regular gym memberships to work out in.
Don't forget you're paying for insurance, etc. It's not just coaching.

and heat, AC, electric, water, toilet paper, paper towels, soap,.. rent/mortgage & property taxes, FICA, FUTA, UI, maintenance inside and outside, chalk, cleaning, ugh; in my program, as well as many others, you would be paying full tuition because most of us would be involved in rehabbing your injury also. :)

Guess I am lucky! Ive been hurt for basically the past year with only 2 months of uninjured training UGH! But I switched gyms in October and at my previous gym when i came in to condition they didn't charge us, so I guess that is why I was a little surprised at the amount. Thanks for the input:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back