WAG Falling on butt on purpose

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymcoach1

Coach
Reaction score
I have a gymnast in my group who is 7 and one of the most talented gymnast I've coached. On floor she does a perfect two back handsprings then sticks it and intentionally falls on her butt. It is extremely frustrating as it's very clear she's doing it on purpose. When I ask her why she was falling she just shrugs and doesn't answer. Last night I'd had enough of and spoke to both of her parents who both laughed and said "she's just silly like that". Not the answer I was expecting. I wouldn't even care that much if it was just her, but now it as effecting the entire group. Every time she does it they laugh and it diverts their attention, and feeds into it. Now I have around 3 little kids falling on their butts on purpose. I've told the girl that she won't be allowed to stay in this group if she continues to intentionally fall. I think now she just likes the attention from the other girls, and knows it will get a reaction out of me, so I think going forward I need to just ignore it until she stops. Any input appreciated because I think I might lose it lol.

I don't suggest this often but clearly this is a great situation to use the good old friend called rope. Explain to the whole group that falling on purpose is dangerous and can potentially cause injuries and they are not allowed to do that. Teach them to do safety rolls in case of falling backwards. Then tell them that if anyone falls on her butt it means you have to climb one rope and use the climbing time remembering why it's not okay to fall on purpose. When they have climbed a few times they don't want to do it again.

The rope is my go-to for situations like this too. Yesterday she climbed three times and seemed completely unfazed. My little ones oddly enjoying climbing the rope, but I will try to think of conditioning that she won't want to do.

if she does it, after warning her not to I would not let her tumble, but do some conditioning exercise instead, telling her if she keeps falling its obvious that she needs to improve XYZ to help her to land properly. Most kids love to tumble so after missing out she may well come back into line

if she does it, after warning her not to I would not let her tumble, but do some conditioning exercise instead, telling her if she keeps falling its obvious that she needs to improve XYZ to help her to land properly. Most kids love to tumble so after missing out she may well come back into line
That's a good idea! Thanks

First, I never assume a kid is doing what you described on purpose. They may play it off that way because they don't understand themselves, to save face, or just because of their personality. So, I would assume she is not able to control two back handsprings yet and needs to work on drills and spatial orientation in tumbling. She therefore would not have earned the right from me to do a roundoff two back handsprings on the floor but would have to earn her way to it through showing me she can pass all the progressions with a correct rebound.

I would have her do one back handspring and she will need to pass that a certain number of times to move on. If she still can't stick, then standing back handspring. Make her "pass" every time. This will motivate her to do what you ask and also address any technical errors by beginning with basics. Don't say anything to her specifically, just structure your practice so they have to pass to earn the right to do the harder skills. If she falls in the easiest skills, and therefore doesn't pass, don't make a big deal about it, just let her continue to take her turn and then neutrally explain what the error is that made it not count. It will dawn on her eventually.

For a start praise kids for beautiful stuck landings. The other kids are seeing that the falling gets attention so instead make sure the thing you want to see is what get the attention.

Secondly why not have a stuck landing incentive. For exapmple when you give the assignments it only counts for the kids to move on if the landing is stuck. So say the kids have to do 5 of the f,it's, only stuck ones count and the kids who do it right get to move on to the next stage while the kids who fall will have to repeat until they don't fall.

I agree with Aussie. For kids that age especially, attention is a reward and she's getting a lot of it for her behavior. I would use an incentive for not falling and ignore her whenever she sits down.

Again I wish to like Aussie a hundred times.

All that and if all else fails. They know how to do the skill yet mess up on purpose, don't let them do it.

Curious, what would she/does she do in a meet?

Also perhaps a heart to heart that she should be an example to the littles.

If she's falling that consistently, whether on purpose or not, she needs to go back to an easier skill. Let her try ro-bhsx2 2-3 times with corrections, if she continues to fall then take her back to ro-bhs. Just assume there is some part of the skill she is still struggling with and go back to basics. If the issue really is that she enjoys being the class clown and getting laughs from her teammates, she will probably catch on pretty quickly. If the problem is just not yet being able to control the power she gets in ro-bhsx2, this will address that.

Thank you all for all the great replies I really appreciate it. She consistently scores around 9.5s on floor with perfectly stuck band handsprings which is a big part of why it frustrates me so much. She wasn't there today but I am definitely going to start the rewards for sticking system. Love that idea!!

or- I do this on occasion, "Suzie, workout ends at 7, so you come back to floor at 7 and we will get your 3 routines done, but you are not leaving until they are done". Pretty much a guarantee that mom and dad won't find her silliness entertaining at that point. Problem solved.

or- I do this on occasion, "Suzie, workout ends at 7, so you come back to floor at 7 and we will get your 3 routines done, but you are not leaving until they are done". Pretty much a guarantee that mom and dad won't find her silliness entertaining at that point. Problem solved.

That *might* backfire. There is a girl at my DDs gym who is a L9 and having troubles on vault. Her parents relish when HC makes her stay after, punishes her, or doesn't let her off the apparatus. They punish her also. There are plenty of crazy parents around who would delight in that.

This is exactly what I would do. Explain it is dangerous and have her do landing exercises instead. And useful drills and progression. Explain that when she is stronger she will be allowed to try again. She will probably beg to return. Other people have got some good ideas

Lol, am I the only one whose gymnasts would just love this! My kids hate going home at the end of the night! Most of them would do conditioning all night if it meant they could stay at the gym.

I had a gymnast until exactly 11:45 pm one night .... From that day on she made the correction.

I had a gymnast until exactly 11:45 pm one night .... From that day on she made the correction.

But what if she gets hurt that night or the next due to fatigue? I respect your results but is this really advice that you want to give to young, potentially inexperienced coaches? Personally, I am unwilling to do it for them and believe in natural consequences. I also believe that 11:45pm at night in the gym because a child is not making corrections has gone too far...this is supposed to be fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back