WAG falling safely from high bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Falls happen also when they do a really high underswing and throw the head back and cannot re-grip the bar properly on the back swing. Bad shapes and the head position on the back swing are also risk factors.

That's interesting about throwing the head back on the underswing. It's something I noticed in the video of the girl peeling on the tap swing (above). Other than that, the girl seemed to have pretty good technique/strength so just watching casually you wouldn't expect the fall. It's also a little hard to see from the angle of the video if she has shaping issues in her tap swing.

Oh jeez. I wish I never read this thread! My DD is working those now and I just assumed they were super easy and wondered why they get a spot on it. Now I see. And I can't seem to UN-see!

There are lots of things in this sport I wish I could un-see!

Turns out Tink sprained her wrist in the fall. Competed on it after 2 weeks of limited practice but still recovering. Grrr.

Not to hijack the thread, but this got me researching peeling off the bar and I came across a post from 2015 (Not quite a spot?) talking about a coach positioning him/herself between the gymnast and the low bar in the tap swings. That led me down the path of a blog post recommending it be a deduction for the coach NOT to be there to spot/catch/break the fall in the even of a miss. Is that a rule now? Do coaches have to stand there ready? I really really hope so! This is freaking me out! My DD is really small and is struggling with her grips and I can't even imagine this happening. They are always spotted at practice unless over the pit, but at a meet, I don't know.

Not to hijack the thread, but this got me researching peeling off the bar and I came across a post from 2015 (Not quite a spot?) talking about a coach positioning him/herself between the gymnast and the low bar in the tap swings. That led me down the path of a blog post recommending it be a deduction for the coach NOT to be there to spot/catch/break the fall in the even of a miss. Is that a rule now? Do coaches have to stand there ready? I really really hope so! This is freaking me out! My DD is really small and is struggling with her grips and I can't even imagine this happening. They are always spotted at practice unless over the pit, but at a meet, I don't know.
I think we're at the same gym :cool: and I'm pretty sure they don't get spotted at meets and won't for long at practice. Must not be a rule.

Dd's coach always stands between the bars at meets for tap swings. I have seen some other coaches that do, but more that don't. One of her teammates peeled on a tap swing at warm ups at a meet and the coach was able to catch her as she went flying off the bar because the coach was standing between the bars. I don't watch practice so that was really scary to see. I was so thankful the coach was standing right there.

When kids are first doing tap swings I always keep a hand on them and am prepared to catch. As they get better and more consistent I take the hand off, but I am still positioned and ready to catch. It drives the kids nuts that I spot them on what they think is such a simple skill, but I've seen too many things like the above video to mess around. I have some pretty good tap swingers who I still will not let swing completely on their own. Because weird things can and do happen, and knowing how to fall is not always going to help in a situation like the above.
our HC does this as well. as a level 4, he follows each girl from low to high bar. he will have a hand up as well, not touching, but there to catch them if he feels it's needed. he needs a catcher's mitt b/c he has made some great saves!

This showed up on Youtube. I just wanted to share... This particular coach is ALWAYS standing between the bars when his gymnasts do tap swings. He's a really good bars coach who does great coaching videos and uploads them on Youtube for every coach to see and learn. He has always talked about the importance of being there ready to catch. Clearly he does just what he teaches. Btw, his girls are outstanding on bars!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back