faux meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

opinions anyone? i have a mock meet in one week, it is suppose to get us "warmed up" for the official meets this season. I have never been a part of a mock meet before because my old gym did not have them (gym now closed :(). From what i have heard there will be one judge (official) and the older girls will judge the rest :confused:. I hate meets and judging! i really have panic attacks the night befor and perform like a 2 yr old at them! Whats worse is that all the parents will be there which really is what i hate the most about meets. How they gasp when someone slips on beam, so the girl actually feels like its over. Maybe people see it different, but i'm not sure. i have actually considered pertending to be sick to get out of going. Does anyone have any advice for a crippling fear of parental judgement?

You have an advantage at this mock meet because you are in your training gym (I assume). So just pretend that you are training, don't think about any body around you. Imagine that you are alone, or in the gym practicing your routines like you would, with your team mates there. Think about it, what is a judge goind to do, ex: if you fall off the beam, if the judge going to come up and bite you :). If so, then I wouldn't blame you for pretending to be sick.
No a judge will just take points off your score, end of story, it won't kill you. It will probably help if you keep yourself occupied (your mind) while you wait for your turn. Listen to an Ipod, jump rope, do a puzzle, do something. I don't really recommend watching people before you.
Don't go in thinking about winning, set resonable goals for yourself and try to achieve those, like you would in practise. Ex: do bars without falling, or do bar routine without stopping
It sound like you need to practice getting into your zone, where it is just you and the piece of equitment.
Remember this, your coach is not allowed to come on the mats with you, but say for exemple on vault he/she sees that you are about to do something really wrong, he/she will step in and save you. He/she won't stand their and watch you.
Think of it as just another practice. You will be able to go back and do another routine latter.
Sorry for being so long.

I agree with gym4life123, focus just on your routines like practice. Wish you the best, breath, hold up you chin and go for it :)

I agree with gym4life123 too, you need to stop thinking of what people think. You need to be yourself and feel good with it, you are a gymnast, strong, graceful and powerful, and there's no need to be ashamed about it. Try loose yourself, e.g.: dance in the middle of the street, in the school, start screeming out loud outside.

I agree with gym4life123 as well, who cares what other people think. The mock meet is supposed to let you get used to actual meets and judging, so let it do that. As for beam, during your routine never tell yourself don't fall, don'nt fall, don't fall. Your brain only focuses on the FALL part. Instead think of positive things to think to yourself.:) Like, pointed toes, or, chin up. Sayings like these helped me through all of my meets, and I'm sure they'll help you. Also if the parents gasp if you fall, don't think to yourself its over now, think it has just started, get back up on the beam and nail every skill. When you finish, before looking at the score, look at the parent's faces when they see you just got a 9.0! The same thing happened to me on bars at an actual meet, I fell on bars, and still got an 8.975. Good luck at your meet!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back