WAG Fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BHS in high beam tonight. Coach spotted but didn't touch! Woo hoo! We have progress. Also, we're not allowed to watch, and usually when I get there they're doing strength or something not too terribly interesting for the last 5 minutes, but today I got to see them training Yurchenkos onto the big block pit thing! How cool is that?

Woohoo!! So excited for your DD!! Hope it sticks ;)

My DD also started training yurchenkos on the table trainer(no flipping) last week…so cool to see!!

I think it would be weird not to have the option of watching. I don’t watch every time, but it’s nice to do it when I can.

I was going to post some encouragement to this thread ten days ago, but...........

So now all I can do is say great job on the recent progress, and to keep in mind it's just that....progress and not the conclusion of the bhs saga. It takes time for some kids to mature on any given skill, so tell her to be patient, do lots of reps with spot as long as the coach is willing, and in time the skill will become a non issue.

Low and medium height beams are a good place to build confidence, and IMO kids (or coaches) tend to feel pressure to take skills to the high beam thinking that's the only true measure of competence. Certainly, they have to get comfortable with them on the high beam, but I'd argue that a regimine of five on the floor beam followed by two or three on the medium beam (repeated 3-4 times) contributes more to the goal of a high beam bhs than one white knuckled bhs with-out spot on the high beam after lots of hand wiping, finger wiggling, and shoulder rocking to prepare for that one attempt.

Yeah, thanks. She lost it again, but is progressing in other areas (cast handstand, working on level 8 vault, etc.) and continues to have a great, "it's almost there" attitude about the whole thing. I know she's anxious to be able to compete AA at her first meet, and there's nothing I can do that will be a bigger incentive to her than that. If she doesn't get it in time, it won't be for lack of effort or desire on her part.

She'll get it back again. And one day it will be a non-issue. And then she will use what she learned this go-around to help her persevere with whatever current skill is a struggle. At least that is what I keep telling myself!

She will get it back. It always helps to know you have done it before.

Dd is supposed to put her bwo/bhs series on high beam with one less mat today. Fingers crossed that she will be able to make the transition smoothly. Usually whenever she transitions, its a learning curve all over again even though its the same everything, just one less mat. Good thing is that thus is the only skill she doesn't have across all events and she has her bhs so she can make up points, just won't get a connection value.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back