Fly Away Block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
I am sure this is a pretty common thing but maybe a fresh perspective from gymnasts, coaches, and parents out here in CB world can help!

Last summer my DD Alex learned her flyaway at camp. When she came back to her gym they would not let her do them since the Level 4's were not training those at the time. Now, this summer (Early June I think) as a level 5 they start to do some drills building up to the flyaway. Doing a timer into the pit Alex kindof over rotated and landed with her knees in her chest and she was sore for a couple of weeks. Since then...she is aftaid to let go of the bar. She really wants to do it and has awesome tap swings but just won't let go early enough and the coach has to do all the work to flip her over. Any words of wisdom? Usually all the coaches tell her is to let go sooner which she knows but just can't do.

I had almost the exact same issue... got my flyaway long before I had to compete it, fell, and then was scared to let go for quite a long time. What got me over my fear, I believe, was just doing drills repeatedly with my coach standing right there so I felt more secure. I would do three tap swings or so, my coach would say "now" when it was time to let go, and he would just hold me up in a hollow position when I let go. My hands were still very close to the bar, and I wouldn't do any of the tucking motion. Then my coach would tell me to grab the bar again and we'd start over.

I think fears with flyaways are pretty common. Repetition is so helpful. Good luck to your DD!

I start flyaways pretty slow (though all of my L5s can do it on the low bar with me at this point). The tap to timer drop is great, but you have to be careful how you set it up and how experienced they are with falling, because it can be a little risky if they get loose or overrotate. I prefer to start on the low bar where I spot the release as I carry them out from the bar a little.

Will she not let go for the tap to drop (to back)? Or just when she is trying to do the flyaway?

Tell her to just relax and when her mind is ready to do it, she will just do it. No matter how hard she pushes herself, her mind/body will just "let her do it" one day. My granddaughter had a similar situation happen to her. She worked and worked for months with no success. I suggested she just quit worrying about it...that one day she would go to gym and "just know "that the time was right -- and that is exactly what happened!!

i had the same problem: letting go of the bar. I would not let go of the bar, my coaches got mad at me, I got mad at myself, it was just terrible. But then my spotter had me do this drill and then gradually I would let go of the high bar. It is basically the same as gymdog said, just a little bit more detailed. Have her do nice tap swings on the low bar with her knees bent (or if she is small enough have her in a hollow hold), then have a coach or a spotter if you have one, spot her on a flyaway. (When i wouldn't let go my spotter held me out and almost pulled me off the bar and made me flip over.) It is way less scary, and you learn to let go and not be so scared. I hope this helps!!! good luck

Last edited:
Will she not let go for the tap to drop (to back)? Or just when she is trying to do the flyaway?

She will let go for flatback timers but not for the flyaway. I think she is afraid to pull hers knees in for fear of hitting her knees into her chest again. If she does not have to pull her knees in she is fine. (Maybe she should go straight into a layout flyaway. hehe!!)

She will let go for flatback timers but not for the flyaway. I think she is afraid to pull hers knees in for fear of hitting her knees into her chest again. If she does not have to pull her knees in she is fine. (Maybe she should go straight into a layout flyaway. hehe!!)

Actually that's what I was going to say, when she goes to tuck she may be doing it early, causing her to pull in (break shoulder line) and then hold on because there will be no displacement from the bar similar to the flatback. She might have to think about staying straight longer and tucking after the release.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back