Parents For some reason beam scares me the most!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gwenmom

Proud Parent
If seen some nasty spills (including ones that require ambulances rides) on bars from some of the older girls but for some reason every time DD does something we on beam it worries me more than any other apparatus.

Watching her attempt a cartwheel on the low beam just reminded me how tense her learning new skills on the beam makes me.

Anyone else have one apparatus that worries them more than the others?

Beam is less scary if you squint through the viewfinder of your video camera! I don't watch beam practice if I can help it :D

Beam is less scary if you squint through the viewfinder of your video camera! I don't watch beam practice if I can help it :D

All I can say is... Lol! I can't squint watching my sister so I just look away and ask how she did when she comes off beam... Lol

The gym freak

definitely bars for my older DD. The other day she was on the high bar just hanging by her hips as she adjusted her leo and it made me nervous. All I could think about was her moving wrong and landing on her head. But then... she had a fall off of the lower bar in the fall that hurt her back (landed on her shoulder/neck and her legs came back up over her head (like a bridge; but further). She was out for 3-4 weeks and there were times that I didn't think her back was ever going to stop hurting her!

My younger DD I guess worries me most on the beam; but that is because 1)she doesn't do much stuff that is worrisome on the bars and 2)she gets over confident on the beam and makes stupid mistakes. Like the other day she was walking backwards on it, didn't pay attention and walked right off the beam. :eek: I saw it happening and knew what was coming and I swear it really was slow motion! :cool: For my son... maybe rings? He says P Bars are freaking him out now though.

:) that's so funny because it's exactly what I always say!

I have to say that beam is definitely the event I cringe on most, but she is beginning to do release moves on bars and I really don't want to think about those either.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

For me beam is scary to watch for my lil DD. She just turned 6 & just one bobble can send her falling onto, off or both. With the young ones being so small they have a long way to fall. Concussions! Teeth getting knocked out! Broken bones! Yikes yikes yikes

For me beam is scary to watch for my lil DD. She just turned 6 & just one bobble can send her falling onto, off or both. With the young ones being so small they have a long way to fall. Concussions! Teeth getting knocked out! Broken bones! Yikes yikes yikes

Exactly!!!!!

For me, it is rope climbs! Each rope is suspended from the gym ceiling by a large chain. At the top of the chain, a couple feet above where the rope ends, there is a bell. In order to ring the bell, my teeny tiny 6-year-old has to put her hands on the slippery metal chain. There is a small crash mat under the rope, and the top of the rope is probably at least 20 feet above the floor. Just to make the parents even more nervous, a couple of weeks ago one of the girls let go of the rope about halfway down. Fortunately, a coach was standing at the bottom of the rope. He broke her fall and she was fine, but very often the rope climbs are supervised by an assistant coach who is in high school and probably wouldn't know how to safely break a fall, or there is no one at the bottom of the rope at all.

and don't forget about us coaches that go to gym every day. controlled insanity i tell ya.:) and a triple "yikes" above from onebusymama to boot! :) God save the Queen!!

okay...the last part was a bit "out there".

Beam, without a doubt...and bars would be a close second. I don't know...maybe they are tied. Anytime falling is a possibility...eeek!

The scariest thing that I watch--BY FAR--is the cheer team practicing the same time as the gymnasts. Some of the tumbling, especially the back tucks...:eek::eek: It gives me a stomachache to watch!

Beam for sure. Although bars are getting up there as we work on giants into flyaway. Funny, I worry about concussions and losing teeth for my sons and broken bones for my dds. I guess that is because my sons have had concussions and broken teeth LOL so I know it can happen.

LOL they all scare me to watch my DD learn new skills. It doesn't get any easier as they move up the levels either. I use to watch her learn skills but now its Just too scary to watch so I wait until the meets when she has them perfected. I'm less stressed about it and can enjoy her skills better

Bars for me....Ever since my Dd broke her hand (by missing them completely) on her Baile, I now hold my breath when she does them. In fact, at a meet a few weeks ago she missed 1 hand on the Baile (don't aks me how) and I thought, oh no, there goes her teeth as I was preparing myself for her face to smash into the bar. By some miracle, she managed not to smash her face, stayed on the bar and saved the skill and routine. It was a crazy thing to see. LOL!! Bars are not my favorite :)

Training for the upper optional levels is just plain crazy; parents - I implore you, don't watch the learning of these skills. Bar release moves (getting used to the splat when they don't catch the bar), back and front tucks on beam, flipping (and then flipping and twisting) vaults, doubles (or crazy flips with twists) on floor. Like gymbee97 said - just watch the routines after they have learned them. I have said this before - stress is lessened when you have solid trust in your gymnasts coaches.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
You know, it's kind of weird, because I am one of those parents who has a heart attack when one of my kids (or anyone else's, for that matter) leans over a high railing or climbs a tree or whatever, but so far I don't get too freaked out by gymnastics stuff. Maybe because I don't watch practices, so I hear about the concussions and the dislocations and such, but don't actually see them? Maybe because she's "only" a level 7 and isn't doing any of those crazy flipping vaults or release moves or anything yet? Maybe because the mats give me the illusion of safety? I think working up the levels slowly helps the parents as much as the kid... you get used to watching your kids do certain things, and maybe you even get to start to see a bit of what the next level up is doing. Like I remember when level 7 stuff looked insane, but now that my daughter is doing level 7, it doesn't look so bad, though level 9 and 10 stuff looks insane. Don't get me wrong... I still worry when I watch her at meets, but it's more because I want her to well rather than worrying that she'll hurt herself. At least so far. Ask me again next year...

Training for the upper optional levels is just plain crazy; parents - I implore you, don't watch the learning of these skills. Bar release moves (getting used to the splat when they don't catch the bar), back and front tucks on beam, flipping (and then flipping and twisting) vaults, doubles (or crazy flips with twists) on floor. Like gymbee97 said - just watch the routines after they have learned them. I have said this before - stress is lessened when you have solid trust in your gymnasts coaches.

Good Luck.

Should she ever get that far, she's only 7 now, I will stop watching practice. However, my little show off currently likes me there because she likes to know someone is cheering for her. Maybe the teenage years will cure that lol

Good Luck.

Totally agree. I never watch dd doing new skills. My nerves can barely take it at meets, with skills she has mastered and even then I am watching through the video camera :eek:. I generally stay away from practice, except for the last few minutes. But if she's working a new skill (rarely happens in the last 10 min of practice), I can't bare to watch.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

LOL about the bar splat!!! Bailes still do not scare me nearly as much as DD's beam series (bhs LO, switchleap BT). I never saw her flip a vault until her first meet, and THAT doesn't scare me either!

Beam series is the worst even though its only bhs/bhs right now. Next year will be even more nerve wracking. I have seen a few girls smash into the low bar on bails and paks though - very scary. Not keen on watching that either, but it seems easier for the coach to at least spot that as opposed to rescuing the child from the beam series gone wrong. It's the possibility of hitting the apparatus that gets me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back