WAG Fractured Metatarsal

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
First real gymnastics injury after 7 years in the sport so I suppose I can't complain. Fractured 4th metatarsal on her right foot (BWO-BHS on beam. Missed.). She is in a boot with crutches today and is going to the ortho for a cast tomorrow. I could hardly even see it when dr. pointed it out to me on the xray so I'm telling myself that it can't be too bad. I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and what the healing time/process was like? Of course, if there is a "good" time to have an injury, this is it, but still, she has been so excited about the new skills she has been getting, or ones she was "this close" to getting, plus there's gymnastics camp at the end of June, etc. etc. etc. Feeling very sad for her. :(

She also hurt her finger during the same fall. Not broken (they xrayed that too), but badly bruised, so she is pretty limited in what she'll be able to do in the gym till she can at least use her hand again. :( :(

Oh no Mary! Sending healing fairies to her and patience to you. Yes its good that it has been 7 years but injuries are no fun.

Oh no! I hope she heals quickly. Alex has broken her right foot not once but twice. The second break was on the beam as well and I think that it contributed to some of her fears. They never did a cast either time but she was in a boot for a good 6 weeks. Recently....last Thursday, she sprained her right achilles tendon so she won't be doing much lower body stuff for at least 2 weeks. So, I know what you are going through! You are lucky (knock on wood) that she was able to go 7 years without a significant break in training due to injury! Alex has only been doing gym for 5 years but she usually manages to get hurt about once a year. Hoping for Kathy to have a speedy recovery!!

Little Monkey fractured her 5th metatarsal last winter, right in the middle of her season. She only cried when the Dr told her no gymnastics for a few weeks. She was in a boot for 4 weeks, then sneaker. During the first 4 weeks, nothing weight bearing but she was allowed to condition and do bars (minus the dismount). After the boot came off she eased back into working out doing everything but tumbling and vault in the beginning. Her coaches were very conservative. She was not allowed to vault until the week before her first meet back (2 weeks before States). That was at week 10. At first you could definitely tell she was favoring her foot during the run for vault. She claimed it didn't hurt, so not sure if it was more psychological.

By the time of her first meet this season (10 months total but I'm sure she was doing ok by the latter part of the summer) she was completely back to normal. She didn't break it on vault, so it was weird that this was the event most affected, but she was probably afraid of the landings.

Sending healing thoughts to your DD!

That really stinks! I do hope she heals up fast and that the hand resolves quickly too. I know it seems like forever when they're in it, but the time will pass. All good thoughts to her and to you -- you are in for a fun ride, sigh.

What's up with the cast? Is that a definite thing, and if so, are they talking about totally encasing her foot and ankle?

4th metatarsal should recover fairly quick, about 4 weeks. I think a cast is the best way to go, especially if you have coaches who will have her doing things that she obviously wouldn't be doing with a cast on (I only say this because my dd's coaches would have her out of the boot doing more than she should). With cast she can still do basics on bars, bars conditioning and regular conditioning. She will stay strong, if not get stronger and will come back very quick once out of the cast. She will probably need PT because of the atrophy that will happen. Tell her to do exactly what she is told and she will be fine, if she comes back too soon, she will set back her recovery!!

My dd, earlier this season, had a 1st metatarsal fracture and a navicular bone fracture (high-risk fracture). she came back sooner than expected, but I had bought a bone stimulator and she was using that 3 times a day on the navicular bone. If it was just a 1st metatarsal fracture, I wouldn't of done that and just had her wait out the 3-4 weeks. She also starting taking Symphytum Officinale immediately (homeopathic treatment for fractures that I learned from friends) whenever she drank water. Also a few years back, my dd had a Jones' fracture (high risk 5th metatarsal fracture that is based on the location of the fracture), so we have had our experiences with metatarsal breaks and poor dd has suffered both of the high risk fractures in the same foot (different areas though and a few years apart - go figure!)

7 years before her first injury? Wow! Poor kid though...I hope she heals quickly and the time between is as pain free as possible!!

Ugh! So sorry to hear, but it's amazing she's gone 7 years without an injury. This truly is the best time of year for it to happen too. I know she's bummed but it sounds like it will be healed by the time school is out and summer training starts so it should not set her back at all. Sending healing vibes.

Well, she's in a boot for 6 weeks. Had to cancel her late-June gymnastics camp as well as the long-weekend family trip we were planning on going on this weekend (lots of walking, and she still needs to use crutches for a couple of weeks). Yesterday the doctor didn't see anything on the xray of her finger, but today ortho saw what he thought might be a bone chip, so she's also in a splint for two weeks, which makes maneuvering on crutches even harder. GS, I will look into the Symphytum Officinale.

HC is VERY careful about injuries, so I'm not worried that she will get pushed into anything she shouldn't be doing. Quite frankly, I am most concerned about how to keep her spirits up through all of this. I'm sure that every gymnast is like this, but sitting still is NOT one of DD's strong suits. She always wants to be up and moving around, even on the crutches, and her arm pits and sides are very irritated by the crutches. She can't put as much weight on her hands as she should because of the splint.

She's going on a school field trip to the zoo on Wednesday and I'm wondering if I should call ahead and reserve her a wheelchair.

Definitely go with the wheelchair for the field trip.

Did someone size the crutches correctly for her? The top of crutches should be 2-3 finger widths lower than her arm pits. She really shouldn't be "leaning" on the crutches.

Definitely go with the wheelchair for the field trip.

Did someone size the crutches correctly for her? The top of crutches should be 2-3 finger widths lower than her arm pits. She really shouldn't be "leaning" on the crutches.

Yes, I will check the height of the crutches, but right now I think the problem is that, with a splinted finger, it is harder for her to support herself on her hands. I found feaux-sheep-skin covers at the home health store. We'll see if those help. Teacher ok-ed the wheel chair for the field trip.

So sorry to hearr about the injury. Is there any other activity Kathy enjoys but doesnt have much time for? My dd has expressed an interest in playing piano, but isnt willing to sacrifice gym time, so in your situation, I would try to get her a few lessons. Maybe a craft of some kind? some craft stores offer weekly lessons... Nothing is going to take the place of what she feels is missing, but a new activity might help the time pass. Hugs!

If the crutches are bothering her under her arms, wrap towels/washcloths around the tops and secure with duct tape. It makes it a lot softer and cushier.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back