Friday night competition?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Okay well, I posted a while back about alot of my DD meets listing dates from friday till sunday. And just basically asking how this all worked. Stating she is a first year L2 (so EVERYTHING is new to me). She has four meets all within state. (from reading other peoples posts and responses i believe this is more of a "get the competition experience" type of thing, than anything else.)
Well, we got the actual date for her time slot, and it is Dec, Friday 10th, at 6:30pm. It goes till 9pm, with awards being handed out afterwards. (the "bigger girls" are on saturday and sunday). Now, that I see how this is working this time, is it normal for the little ones to go on friday (since alot of gyms dont really compete their L2s and 3s). Do they do them on friday to give them a chance to compete and leave the main weekend days open for the "bigger girls"? I only ask this because, two of her meets are 3 hrs or more away (luckely the first one is here..we are the host gym), and if it is the norm to have the L2s go on friday i will have to pull her out of kindergarten early on those two fridays to get to the meet on time.
Just a question..i know im full of them..lol

we only compete level 3 and not level 2 and for us, Friday night meets dont usually happen. we only have one this whole season that is on a Friday night and its actually dec. 10th also.^^

Very normal, my least favourite start time, and it seems to the normal one for DD this year, is 7am on SUnday!! With the long drives involved it leaves us all exhausted.

Good luck to your little one!

All competitions organize their schedules differently, the next comp you go to may have the higher levels Friday. Its possible they are starting with the lowest level and working their way up.

Some competitions prefer to put the younger kids on Friday because if they miss school its not considered as much as an issue as a High schooler.

Yup, they are all different.

Around here, "Extended" weekends are normally held at the larger meets. It's more typical to find optionals to be competing on Fridays. Meets that have competing L3 and under are Saturdays and Sundays only.

Thank you everyone.
Aussie Coach, they are def. starting with the lower levels first. Each level has ONE session on ONE day except the L4s who have 3 sessions on 2days, and L5s who have 2 sessions on 2 days. L4s and 5s must be plentiful in my neck of the woods..lol.
Bog, I hope she does good too, and enjoys every minute of it..win, lose, or draw. And the best of luck to both of your DD this year.
GymnastJess, is your monday meet local or away from home? Best of luck.
And Shadow, I wish all the best of luck on the friday the 10th meet.
Again thank you all, your always so helpful.

I am just finding this out, too. I guess sometimes they just have so many kids, they start overlapping onto weekdays and they really don't care about whose school schedule they interrupt! My dd had 5 meets this fall and every one of them was on a Saturday. However, my ds is starting competitions in Jan and his first one is in Las Vegas ( a good 6 hr drive for us) on MONDAY morning at 9 am!

I think Friday nights are pretty common, especially at larger meets. It's a terrible time slot, though, especially for little kids. They've been at school all day and then are expected to be performing well at 9:00 at night. UGH! We don't have L2 or L3 competitions here and in my experience it really varies as to who gets the Friday night slot. Mondays, though, are just wrong!!

Yup, they are all different.

Around here, "Extended" weekends are normally held at the larger meets. It's more typical to find optionals to be competing on Fridays. Meets that have competing L3 and under are Saturdays and Sundays only.

Yeah, in my experience optionals always get the evening sessions at big meets, and that usually means there's an optional session on Friday. But L4 is generally the lowest competitive level in my state.

Thank you everyone.
Aussie Coach, they are def. starting with the lower levels first. Each level has ONE session on ONE day except the L4s who have 3 sessions on 2days, and L5s who have 2 sessions on 2 days. L4s and 5s must be plentiful in my neck of the woods..lol.
Bog, I hope she does good too, and enjoys every minute of it..win, lose, or draw. And the best of luck to both of your DD this year.
GymnastJess, is your monday meet local or away from home? Best of luck.
And Shadow, I wish all the best of luck on the friday the 10th meet.
Again thank you all, your always so helpful.

Us too, the L4 & L5 seem to have the most sessions and my gymmie L6 has had one meet with L3 in her session and another meet with L10 in her session :confused:. One meet our L5s started at 2:45 on a Friday! Go figure, not sure how they schedule these things LOL. Wishing your gymmie the best at her meet and lots of fun!!:D

my meet is at my gym but my gym is an hour away from where i live so i have to leave school early to get there on time it goes from 4-7pm :) i have a maths test 4th period at school ( the period before lunch when i leave; why couldnt mum pick me up earlier LOL) Thanks :) hope your DD goes well too :)

We compete level 1 and 2 at our gym and so far we have not had a Friday meet. So it really just depends on the meet organizers. Good luck to your dd i hope she does great.

Monique

B 5 year old lvl 1 k 3 year old rec

I think that it really depends on the club. I have had meets Thursday afternoon, and they were away from home so I had to miss 2 days of school.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back