WAG Front and Back Walkovers In Level 9/10

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My question is why are back walkovers so much harder on their backs than BHS?

I'll admit that the BWO is one of my favorite skills to watch. They are so beautiful! But it sounds like they are the "fur coats" of gymnastics. :)

because it is done from a static position vs. a flight movement pattern.

I love any of the walkover skills combined with excellent handstand control such as this routine
With our younger athletes we do a lot of work on developing the shoulder flexibility and correct technique. We don't really do a lot of walkovers as such because the flexibility developed and handstand control makes it possible to learn with few repetitions.

i really enjoyed the pivot>pivot>full turn. fabulous!:)

My DD has been doing BWO on beam now for a few weeks. I am glad she is past the CW/CW series but she has never complained about her back being sore until now. Hopefully we can get past this and onto the BHS soon.

yes, kinda. the conundrum is what would you have them do when introducing food groups (skills) to the kids? i just know that as soon as we can get out of backwalkovering the better.:)....dunno

Yeah, I know what you mean, as there's a bit of a mentality that a bwo must precede a bhs in a female gymnast's development. Myself.....I'd rather see the "backward-upside-down" motion getting covered by putting various forms of a backward roll into the beam progressions.

That's not to say there's no value in reason to teach them to the "right" kids.....but more a question of why do they feel the need to make these skills the "bread and butter" of compulsory routines that every child has to learn without regard to body type. :eek: ;)

remember, they did concede a back extension roll for those that had a "backwards" problem (codeword is...wait for it...vestibular issues) and for those who were having problems with their back.

remember, they did concede a back extension roll for those that had a "backwards" problem (codeword is...wait for it...vestibular issues) and for those who were having problems with their back.

In the routines for 2013, L5 beam allows "back walkover OR back extension OR Back handspring step-out". However, there is still a back walkover in L4 floor.

I am a level 10 this year and I have a front walkover in my beam routine connected to a jump. We sometimes do "basic warmup" and that includes kicks, handstand walking, front and back walkovers, back hand spring step outs...ect I drill front walkovers and front hand spring step outs on beam for my front aerial and front tosses. We also do backwalkovers on beam in our warm up.

My question is why are back walkovers so much harder on their backs than BHS?
With a walkover your hands and one foot have to be on the ground all at the same time, requiring an extreme bend backwards to achieve. With BHS you jump from your feet into the air, rotate, and land on your hands while your feet are in the air. In both you are extended backwards, but to a much greater degree for the BWO.

I don't see why they are necessary for WAG, as MAG do not do them and they tumble fine! However, they do look really beautiful when done well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back