WAG Front Layouts/front somi step out round off (flic) layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay so this year I am competing level 7 and for floor I have a few options for my tumble rows. Right now they are Handspring front and Round off flic layout unless I get some new skills.

Currently I am pretty close to getting my full twist and can land it upright on my feet on a mat in the pit - I know there is a long way to go but I'm feeling pretty confident about it and I know I'll be able to get it onto floor pretty quickly. I want to be able to compete this as soon as possible but because of the requirements its not that simple for me to just substitute the layout for a full twist. We have a similar rule (or so I gather from reading the requirements) to the back layout requirement in the US but it just specifies layout so I'm taking that as forwards or backwards. So to fulfill the requirements I need to either learn punch front layout or front somi step out round off flic layout or just front somi round off layout.

Sorry that was all probably fairly unnecessary. My front layouts are really piked and front somi step outs I find really challenging.

What can I do to help my layouts - I feel this would be the easiest option for me as I am very powerful and I can get them to my feet just they are more piked than layout. I think about kicking my heels over but it just doesn't work and I end up kicking my heels but i sort of do a pike through to layout at the end if that makes sense?

any idea what I can do to help this problem?

Any tips on front somi step out are also welcome :)

A layout with a full is still a layout. You could get your coach to contact your state tech/judging director and get confirmation. I had a peak at what I think are your rules, as the level progress more twisting is required. I suggest you work the front through to back salto as you can get special apparatus bonus for it :)

To add on where PL ended......

Give yourself the best chance possible to make your lay/full by spending a bit of extra time working on round off flics from only a jump forward off a 10-15cm mat stack. Concentrate your efforts on on keeping good core and head posture as you move to your hands, support, and push off from your hands. This "challenged" start to a r-o flic will force you to kick your back leg with great speed and energy, and get every last crumb of power from your body by becoming more technically correct.

Transition from that form of challenged r-o flic to a r-o flic back salto started from a one step run, well maybe a two step run if you really feel you need it....and work it like it's a world class skill. So, like if you can make it with less than total effort, refuse to be satisfied with just making it..... Your final challenge is to make a r-o flic, flic, to layout with the one/two step run. Alternate between the r-o flic salto and the r-o flic,flic layout.

Start with the 1st challenge, work it for 10 minutes and move on to the rest of your tumble work. The second practice work challenge 1 for six "passes" and then move on to the second challenge for another six passes. Add the third challenge to your third practice..... yup, six passes.

Work at that for an additional three practices. Change over to using the 1st challenge as a warm up before moving on to your usual tumbling practice. Oh yeah, if you notice that your r-o flic from the mat stack is getting pretty easy, and you're tempted to add a salto after the flic...... go for it, because that's about where you want it to be as an indicator of having refined the basics on the r-o flic. That'll give you a pretty good workout on the basics in preparation for the day you transition to a regular run into a r-o flic layout on your normal tumbling suface.

Just a warning........ You'll likely have improved your round off to the extent that your regular run will move you into the r-o flic faster than you've ever experienced, so be ready for it mentally.

Thanks guys I am working front somi through to back somi but the step out is just not working for me. Those drills seem pretty good IWC but I think I might have confused you guys, what I was really asking for was help on punch front layouts. Unless of course PL is right and a layout full is considered a layout where we are then I can just compete round off flic full and handspring front until I get the front somi through to back. I'll post the rules and see what you guys think

I'm level 7 this year

http://www.gymnsw.org.au/site/gymna... 2013 State Stream Section 4 January 2013.pdf

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back