WAG Full Turns

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have trouble with full turns on beam. I do them in posse and I switch between starting positions (lunge, Demi plié, and the step onto straight leg (pekay?) )
I land them perfectly about 10% of the times. I fall or have wobbles on them the rest of the time. I haven't fallen on them at a meet yet but it is the only thing in my routine I am scared I will fall on.

They are not scary to me; I always spot, and I've tried going slower/faster. Nothing seems to work. Any tips please??

So far my technique is just practicing everyday when I'm on beam. Throughout beam workouts, I give myself time until beam is over to land and stick 5 perfectly, and at least 3 being in a row. I usually am able to stick 5 but never 3 in a row. Granted I am working on other skills and my routines in between practicing my turns.

I'm struggling with these too! What i've learned that helps is when your finishing the turn do a small lunge- like as soon as you stop.. Does that make any sense?

I used to do full turns with my arms in front of me (first position) because I'm a dancer and that's how I've always turned. My coach suggested that I put my arms above my head and that seemed to help a lot.

So here's what I do:
I start in a small lunge with the foot that I turn on (my right) in front and instead of my whole foot on the beam, I have it in releve. My arms are out in front of me.
I then turn. When I turn, I bring my arms up.
I don't spot because I think when I spot I go too fast and end up over rotating.
I finish by bringing the leg I had in passe out in front of me and stepping forward with it.

I think it's helped to have confidence in my turns as well, but you mentioned you weren't scared.

I really hope this helps and if you have any questions or need clarification, just ask! Good luck!

I used to do full turns with my arms in front of me (first position) because I'm a dancer and that's how I've always turned. My coach suggested that I put my arms above my head and that seemed to help a lot.

So here's what I do:
I start in a small lunge with the foot that I turn on (my right) in front and instead of my whole foot on the beam, I have it in releve. My arms are out in front of me.
I don't spot because I think when I spot I go too fast and end up over rotating.
I finish by bringing the leg I had in passe out in front of me and stepping forward with it.

I think it's helped to have confidence in my turns as well, but you mentioned you weren't scared.

I really hope this helps and if you have any questions or need clarification, just ask! Good luck!

You say you don't spot and it's easier that way. Do you at least turn your head once the turn has begun so your chin is over your right shoulder and because of that are able see the end of th turn before your body gets all the way around?

So here's what I do:

Thanks for the response! I do my turns how you described you do them. I think it might be confidence because I'm used to not landing them. I was a dancer as well (though I don't put my arms forward middle during my gymnastic turns) so you would think I would be good at turns but when I get up on that beam...

I used to have trouble with these. What helped me was the lunge start, but bringing the front foot close in to the back one. This stops you throwing yourself forwards too much , and instead maj you go higher. X hope I helped!

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket mobile app

I used to have trouble with these. What helped me was the lunge start, but bringing the front foot close in to the back one. This stops you throwing yourself forwards too much , and instead maj you go higher. X hope I helped!

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket mobile app

It helped a lot! Thanks! I'm still having some trouble but the tip works for me :)

You say you don't spot and it's easier that way. Do you at least turn your head once the turn has begun so your chin is over your right shoulder and because of that are able see the end of th turn before your body gets all the way around?

Yes I do, only slightly though. I just don't whip my head around because then I go too fast. :)

I used to have trouble with full turns on beam, but I've gotten better. One thing a coach told me is to not look completely down at the beam, but just look slightly up and at the end of the beam (did that make sense?) I've also been told to stand straight up and not lean forward or backward when I turn. My house has wooden floorboards, and I go around practicing my turns on the ones that are about 4 inches wide. This really helped me in fact, just doing them over and over. Hope I helped ;)

I used to have trouble with full turns on beam, but I've gotten better. One thing a coach told me is to not look completely down at the beam, but just look slightly up and at the end of the beam (did that make sense?) I've also been told to stand straight up and not lean forward or backward when I turn. My house has wooden floorboards, and I go around practicing my turns on the ones that are about 4 inches wide. This really helped me in fact, just doing them over and over. Hope I helped ;)

Thanks for the response. My coach always tells us to look for the end of the beam or spot the wall and I usually spot the wall. I'll try spotting the end of the beam at tomorrow's practice. I usually practice my beam routines and my dance in the kitchen or the entrance of the house where I live as those are the only places we have tiled floors. My mom has caught me doing ballet in the bathroom once before XD.

Try finishing your turn in this order........

First with your head by lining it strait up with the end of the beam. If you're spotting the end of the beam you should lift your chin into good posture as soon as you see the end.

Next you want to place the arms out into the finished aligned position. This will slow your body and give you more control if you're staying tight through your core. So up to this point your head has gone 360 and your arms are reaching up slightly and out and are trying to finish the 360 while your body stays tight and your base ankle remains firm.

Now tighten yuour core into a position that aligns with your heaf and arm, keep your base ankle firm and hold the finish for a brief moment in releve'. It's up to you to decide what to do next, but if you finish it like this you'll know exactly where you're at and will be balanced enough to do anything you want.

The worst way to finish is to reach around/forward with your passe' foot to help you balance and finish the turn. It isn't necessary and usually results in your hips swing around past 360 and wobbling out to the side opposite the turning foot.

Be patient, work hard at doing it right, and have a little faith in your ability to do a monster of a turn.... in a good way.

This was DD's hardest beam skill in level 6. She never fell in a meet, but she would fall on most of them in practice. For her it was make 1, fall on 5. Slowly but surely it has gotten more consistent. It has taken maybe a year total? Nobody told her anything different, she just got better over time. So I am sure you will get better through practice and numbers.

During DD's L6 year, her teammates had more falls on the full turn at meets than on any other element of the routine. Same thing last year when they were L7s. This summer, they are all doing five or so full turns at every practice and doing pushups when they fall. I've noticed those broad shoulders getting just a wee bit broader. :) You're finding it hard because it's hard! Don't give up, and just keep working it!

Think how many elite/high level gymnasts do amazing skills on beam beautifully, only to fall on their full turn. I believe it's one of those skills that's harder than it's given credit for. Next time you do a turn, feel where your weight is in your foot. Most of my girls that fall will feel the weight shift from the big toe and ball of their foot (where it should be) to the outside/little toe part of the foot where there is little balance. See if that isn't the case, and good luck. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back