WAG Glide kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mllea2

Proud Parent
My daughter got her kip a year ago. When doing her kip, she doesn’t really glide and extend her body out before bringing her toes to the bar. She almost stays in a V shape when going the kip. She does the rest of her kip beautifully.
Does anyone explain why some children do their kip this way and if it is necessary for her correct to get connections to higher level skills? I really thought she would have grown out of this but she does it exactly the same as a year ago. BTW she has a lot of upper body strength and has to work hard on flexibility. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Sounds like she is not using proper technique. Strong kids can do a kip using their strength instead of proper swing mechanics. It is best to learn it right, but she may lose the skill for awhile if she tries to change it.

Sound like she is maybe too strong, for lack of better words. She thinks, hey I can keep my feet near the bar, that's easier than a leg lift thing. Why would I do a leg lift when I can cheat around it?

Now the coaches are probably aware of the issue but old habits are hard to unlearn. Trust the coaches and it will all be OK.

Reactions: sce
Yes she is very muscular and strong. I know coaches are aware because they will still work sometimes in just her glide. But now that she is doing kip to cast handstand, I wonder if she won’t have good form to make an easy connection. She can do her cast handstand but they are doing it as an isolated skill. I don’t really have too much of an opportunity to talk to coaches to ask about this. I really was just curious.

Yes she is very muscular and strong. I know coaches are aware because they will still work sometimes in just her glide. But now that she is doing kip to cast handstand, I wonder if she won’t have good form to make an easy connection. She can do her cast handstand but they are doing it as an isolated skill. I don’t really have too much of an opportunity to talk to coaches to ask about this. I really was just curious.
Strong and bar strength are two different things

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back