Gymnasts, Parents, and coaches, this is for you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been reading lots of the 'negative coaching' threads, and instead of replying to all of them with the same answer, I just thought to put it all in one place.
Sometimes people mistake helping a gymnast for negative coaching. I know you are all thinking that isn't true, and that good coaches create a very positive environment without critisizing the gymnast. I, honestly (now please don't lash out on me) that, while, this can make gymnastics fun, that coaching competitive gymnastics will always be diffrent. It is hard for parents and gymnasts to understand that often times when a coach critisizes a gymnast, they are doing it out of love, and they always want to see their gymnast succeed (hey, they are representing the coaches when they compete). I would think that you would be the most concerned when a coach doesn't critisize, as that implys that the coach has given up on the child, and doesn't think that he/she can do any better anymore. Now, if you find the coach saying that the gymnast isn't trying, or that they expect better results, well that is simply just trying to find out how high to raise the bar for that athlete, and trying to get them to constantly work harder. I can garentee you that even if a gymnast scores a perfect 10 on all four events a caring coach will say "That was amazing, but I know you can do better" just so that the gymnast will continue to work harder, and know that there is always room for imprvement, but they will still have coaches and parents proud of them. Thank-you for listening to my rant..Please keep it in mind.

I don't think those threads were saying the coach should not be critical. I think they were saying that it is not okay to motivate the gymnast through fear, ridicule or humiliation, it is not okay to be nasty or sarcastic or demeaning, it is not okay to behave in ways that, over time, may crush the gymnast's confidence and self-esteem. That kind of behaviour is not done out of love. Also, while I agree that there must be much criticism and correction in competitive gymnastics, everyone needs some positive feedback and encouragement sometimes. Of course there doesn't need to be lavish praise every five minutes, but it is important to let someone know when they are doing something right.

I can garentee you that even if a gymnast scores a perfect 10 on all four events a caring coach will say "That was amazing, but I know you can do better" just so that the gymnast will continue to work harder, and know that there is always room for imprvement, but they will still have coaches and parents proud of them. Thank-you for listening to my rant..Please keep it in mind.

Just quickly picking up on this, as I thought Nicki said the rest :).

This isn't an example of "negative coaching". You've praised the gymnast, and gone on to give constructive advice, I hope, on how to improve. That's a whole world away from ruining the gymnasts achievement by saying "that was useless- you should have put x and y difficult skill in. If you got a 10 you can't have been trying. Why do I bother teaching you these skills if you won't compete them"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back