Parents Hair Bun advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gwenmom

Proud Parent
I searched the forum and didn't find a thread, but I really need help.

What do you all use to keeps your daughter's hair in a bun. DD's new gym requires a bun for competition and she has super fine hair. Normally I would just use lots of goop and bobby pins, but I am worried the will hurt her head when she does any rolls, etc.

Any suggestions or a link to a previous thread would be a huge help!

TIA

My DD has long hair, but fine. I got this donut type thing that is squishy but blonde colored, like her hair. You put her hair up in a ponytail and pull it through the hole, then pin sections of hair all around it to cover the donut. Take the ends of the pinned pieces and wrap around the bun and you have a very neat looking bun. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will.

I'm practicing a bun with very fine haired DD right now for comp season.

Coach suggested breaking up bun hair in 3 sections and braiding and/or twisting for extra staying power. IF dd had a lot of hair to work with...

BUT for a fine haired kid she recommended a sock bun. (<insert groan>, I was picturing some trendy bagel or flying saucer-sized bun on the top of her head).

She did a quick demo with a scrap of cloth. I tried it @ home - Cut a child's sock toe off. Brought all the hair through the sock - secured with hair tie. Fan hair evenly around the sock, secure with another hair tie. Finish with scrunchy, pinning or tucking in loose ends.

It's supposedly softer than those donut shaped bun makers in stores. It lasted for a 4 hour practice with some drooping. But no pins! Sock also showed through her fine hair - need to use brown colored or maybe a stocking?

Slicked hair back into that bun with Got2Be gel recommended here on CB (try searching hair products or hairstyles - you will find more bun ideas). But the hair that fans out around the sock needs to be dry or it doesn't spread right.

As for poking/hurting during a floor roll - I tried conveying that concern to coach & she poo-pooed it. Apparently a good gymnast doesn't let a bun get in the way of good form. haha.

About half a tube of goop and half a can of hairspray. :)

And, yes, dads can make buns too, with a little practice.

One of our team families took care of the problem by giving their daughter a short bob haircut. Hopefully with her "okay".

IMG_0889-1.jpg
Testing this to see if my pic posting worked. Ignore DD's messy dresser.

The donut looks great, but my DD does not like rolling in it and said it feels "heavy" on her head. I just put it in a pony tail, twist the pony, then start wrapping it and pinning it as I go. DD has super fine/thin hair so her bun is tiny. Lots of goop and hairspray.

I have done a bun where I get it all up really tight, then braid my daughter's long and think hair (adding gel before braiding) into five braids, then wrap around and pin as I go. I use bobby pins because hair pins just bend for her thick hair. I think that I have heard of something called twist and lock pins that supposedly work well, but I have not been able to find them. I spray it a ton and wrap in a scrunchie. Some people use the bun nets. I love the way it looks, but she doesn't.. and thankfully our gym doesn't require it. Her old gym required either a bun or the super tight "cheer" kind of curls that would require us to use 100+ foam rollers that would take 2 days to dry on her head because her hair is so thick and long. It was such a pain! Her new gym doesn't have a required hairstyle and I am so glad. We will be rocking the crown/side braid back to a ponytail. :)

DD has very long, fine hair. I wet her hair and put lots of goop in it. I do a ponytail and then divide it in 2. I make each half into a twist (divide it again and then twist the hair in one direction while you entwine it with the other piece in the other direction... I found a youtube video to show me how. I say in my head while I'm doing it, "Twist to the left..." twisting the single chunk of hair around to the left... "and wrap to the right" wrapping it around the other piece to the right. I'm making it sound more complicated than it is. I think maybe this is the video I watched? )
Anyway, I make 2 of those, wrap both of them (at the same time) around, cinnamon-bun style, and bobby pin it. I just try to make the bobby pins go in sideways rather than down into the bun so that they won't poke her. Then I usually use a bun hair-net. The problem with these is that they are too big, even doubled over. If I only double it, I have a lot of extra net left over and if I triple it, it starts to squeeze her bun into a sausage (not attractive). I picked up some different bobby pins this year... they're clear plastic and are supposed to (according to the package) hold really well. So far the only day I used them was picture day. I think I will try them for her mock meet next month and see if maybe they (along with lots of goop and hair spray) will allow me to skip the net.

Or maybe eventually she will just get her hair cut to a reasonable length and then she can just do the ponytail.

She tried one of those donut things and hated how it felt, though her sister wore one for ballet and it looked awesome. Her hair was an awkward length... too long not to put up but too short to make its own bun. Her hair barely covered the donut, but on stage she looked like she had a long, thick ballerina bun.

I cant use products on P&F as she cannot wash her hair (allergic to shampoo) so my tips are

1) Ponytail, twist two separate strands, then twist the together and wrap into bun shape.

2) secure with screw hairpins - fabulous invention

3) use a fine hairnet to cover bun.

You can spritz with hairspray but I don't bother

DD really wanted to try this bun:

I didn't have time to try it this time, but maybe next time.

Oh, and that Got2Be stuff is a monster! DD wanted to show her hair style at school the day after the meet. So, it held all day, then she slept with it, then she went to school, then 3 hours practice, and it was still perfect! LOL

That braided bun looks awesome, but those with very fine/thin hair can't pull that off! DD has to wrap a ponytail holder around 4 times to hold it...that's how little hair she has :rolleyes:

This is the braided bun. I think they come out so beautifully and they are really easy.
Though if your hair is as fine as my daughter's (and mine, for that matter), it will never look like this, not even if you grew hair all the way down to your feet! ;)

Here is how we skirted the "must do bun" policy at my daughter's old gym- We cut her hair short enough and layered so it literally could not make a bun and instead made a cute little nub pony tail on the crown of her head. Meet ready in less than 5 minutes and I gave myself props for being a rule breaker!

When it got too long (sad panda) it was the perfect style for a sock bun as well.

My dds don't like a bun due to the fact that it effects their forwards and backwards rolls, for my oldest dd I did two side buns (think Princess Leah lol) and my youngest dd has a side bun

We are forbidden to use pins, so we pull the hair up into a pony, wrap the pony around into a bun shape, secure it with two criss-crossed hair ties/pony tail bands, wrap a hair net around the bun part, and then spray the heck out of it before topping it off with the scrunchie that matches the leo. HC runs an annual bun clinic for newbie parents, and I have never seen one of these buns fail for any girl on the team, all the way from the baby fine thin haired ones to the owners of long horse tails.

We use a sock bun. Much smaller than the store bought bun makers and softer. We learned that rather than wrapping her hair around it and putting the hair tie we start at the ends of her hair and roll it down, covering the bun while we go. Then secure with a hair tie to get the smooth look. We do not use bobby pins. Instead we use a C needle and thread (fishing line or embroidery thread works well) and sew the bun in. This flattens it and secures. We never worry about it falling out. Works for us.

I don't do the bun makers - my girls hate having a huge bun for gymnastics.

I just do a pony tail (high up), split it in two. Do those two in either two or three strand braids. Tie THOSE in a know, then tuck the ends. Bobby pin, bobby pin, bobby pin. Then a hair net over the bun. Then a scrunchie.

Our new coaches are requiring buns this year (old coach didn't allow buns at all - go figure!). Since so many moms were unsure of how to make them, our coaches held a bun making class. I feel fortunate that my DD is older and she likes doing hair, so I am off the hook!

She is using the bun making donut. She tried the sock bun, but it didn't really hold her hair well (fine hair but lots of it). She creates three braids out of the pony tail and wraps them around the bun using bobby pins to hold the braids. I have been looking for the locking twist pins that others have mentioned in previous threads, but I've only found a pack of two for about $6.

One other tip that our coaches gave was to brush through the hair after it is in the pony tail but before making the bun to push any lumps back to the base of the pony tail. This ensures that sleek look.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back