Coaches handspring on vault..what's next ??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi ,

I found different opinions on what vault to introduce after front handspring …
What do you suggest or prefer ? Handspring full, tsuk, handspring tuck ….

I am just not that into full or any twisting on vault …but I am open for any thoughts :)
:)

I prefer keeping all options open as long as possible. Are you asking for men or women?

I consider the tsuk to be easier than the hand front. I like the twisting handspring as a backup vault. I would train them all. All of our hand front kids can easily tsuk as they are both a traditional entry vault (forward). All of our hand front kids learned tsuks first. A couple of our hand front girls are now progressing to twisting hand fronts...a couple to the kaz.

Once again...if the gymnast has an extraordinary front handspring...I would train all the vaults that you listed.

If they are indeed a strong handspring vaulter, the next basic progression is Handspring to stand on stacked mats behind the table, handspring to stomach, etc.

Bare in mind going for multiple twists out of the handspring more than 3 is quite different than doing Handspring front or Cuervo vaults.

Good handspring vaulters should be set for Tsuk. Bad handspring vaulters yet good back tumblers should probably just be moved to Yurchenko. Let's face it, some girls are never gonna be worth a lick past Handspring 1/1 or 3/2. Ick. Maybe they'll learn a Tsuk or Kaz. Either are both less difficult than Hand Front.

Honestly, go back to back basics for twisting. Get on a tramp, twist into pit from snap down off a mini tramp. It'll amp your SV in the long run besides connections for tumbling.

Yes...the basic tsuk or kaz are both fairly easy vaults. The hand front is very simple...yet requires much power and good forward awareness for the landing. In my opinion the kaz doesn't get that impressive until it has a proper cruise (spelling?) technique with the head looking down toward the landing. Handspring twisting past 1.5 twists is hard...agreed.

I am not a fan of Yurchenkos...but most of our girls are Yurchenko vaulters.

Cuervos are scary on all but the best vaulters.

Trampoline is a major portion of our vault time...that's how we are able to train everything.

Last edited:
If they are indeed a strong handspring vaulter, the next basic progression is Handspring to stand on stacked mats behind the table, handspring to stomach, etc.

Bare in mind going for multiple twists out of the handspring more than 3 is quite different than doing Handspring front or Cuervo vaults.

Good handspring vaulters should be set for Tsuk. Bad handspring vaulters yet good back tumblers should probably just be moved to Yurchenko. Let's face it, some girls are never gonna be worth a lick past Handspring 1/1 or 3/2. Ick. Maybe they'll learn a Tsuk or Kaz. Either are both less difficult than Hand Front.

Honestly, go back to back basics for twisting. Get on a tramp, twist into pit from snap down off a mini tramp. It'll amp your SV in the long run besides connections for tumbling.

We already do the twisting I just don't like it that much . With the good vaulters I just started to introduce the tsuk. Just wanted to get some input here … after coaching for so many years all it takes some fresh thoughts :)

and here is one of my vaulters..not her best day but still pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZjCl...ature=youtu.be

[video=youtube;xZjCl91-k9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZjCl91-k9M[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
For girls, personally i stay away from tsuks. Its a dead end vault, doing it in tuck or pike ok, but to be able to do a good layout starts to get much to difficult for what its worth.

As everyone has said, if the handspring is strong, power is there, working toward handspring front is a good bet. However by level 7, they should already be working Yurchenkos in my opinion. Its the most ideal vault for most girls. It allows the girls with less power to pull out a decent vault.

Handspring full is a good safety back up vault to have while working on upgrading.

yes, Valentin. but i think this girl is in a gym with no pit or training devices for more than a handspring full. i might be wrong. maybe she'll let us know what kind of facility they have.

yes, Valentin. but i think this girl is in a gym with no pit or training devices for more than a handspring full. i might be wrong. maybe she'll let us know what kind of facility they have.

Yes, we do not have a pit but we are really creative …:) and we have the opportunity to go to a gym that ha a pit…like once a month. We already did drills for the tusk like the timer etc..but I heard from other coaches that they prefer the full not the tusk ...

I guess we will make some progression on the tusk ...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back