Handstand Block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Whenever i do my handstand block on vault, i sail through it only to find that i was piked. Tips on how to get rid of the pike and keep the hollow position?

Stand facing a wall, big spotting block, or a balance beam. Fold your arms with the palm of your finger tips touching your collar bone. Lean against the the wall, block, or beam using the back of your forearms as a cushion. Put yourself into the proper position and, once there and ready, have a team mate gently press against your lower back while you work the muscles that hold you in a hollow position. Your team mate can slowly increase the pressure, at your direction, against your back.

That'll do a couple of things, First off, it will make you feel the muscles, and you can concentrate on feeling the muscles and position. Secondly, it will help you strengthen the muscles used to hold the hollow.

Once you and your helper team mate figure out how to work this drill, it'll be pretty easy to quickly organize yourselves, do the drill, and move on. Being able to move on is important as you'll want, with your coaches blessing, to work this drill for a brief period between your vault turns. That'll give you a reminder to feel the muscles working while you begin to block. if you don't feel them working, then your not forcing them to act the way you want, so just keep trying to make that familiar sensation.

That ought do it!

Nice, good job on getting it! :eek: I was going to say to squeeze your bum and drive your heels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back