Help! beam handstand trouble

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my handstands on beam used to be perfectly vertical and then one day, i guess i twisted accidently and missed the beam. It didnt hurt or anything, but i guess it just scared me and now i can't do them anymore! I can do them on low beam fine, but when i get to the actual beam i freak out and dont get very high. I think its just a fear thing, but i have my first meet of the season in 3 weeks from today so i need to get it! How do I get it back?? help appreciated:)

okay then, get over yourself. it's gymnastics. get it done.:)

the way i think about it is, youre gonna get hurt in gymnastics and sometimes you just gotta go for it. whats the worst thats going to happen? you fall to the side and maybe get a beam burn? i try to think that i can either disappoint my coach and NOT go for it, or go for it and fall off and have her be proud that i got my feet to vertical and atleast tried it! maybe not the best way, but it works for me to overcome fear :p

Have your coach spot you. Then once you're comfortable with that have your coach keep his/her hands there as if to spot you without actually touching you. Then you can have your coach stand a short distance away if you still feel nervous.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back