High School Gym in Virginia

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know there are a few folks from Virginia on here with high school gym experience, so figured someone might be able to answer this question- or at least give it a shot.
I'll be moving to Virginia over the summer for grad school, unfortunately to an area where gymnastics is not very popular. There are maybe 2 rec gyms in the area, one which only offers classes 1 day/week. And life without gymnastics would be rough for me, it's a necessity!
There are also 2 high schools with programs, not great but better than nothing. So I'm just wondering if Virginia requires specific qualifications for high school coaches- must be a teacher in the school district, have teaching certification, etc. I'm willing to volunteer coach, have background checks done, all those little details, just wondering if this is even a possibility before I get my hopes up too much.
Thanks in advance for any help!

The high school coaching positions are considered "co-curricular". You do get paid a stipend (not much) and the season runs from November to about the middle of February. Since you have previous gymnastics coaching experience, you should get snapped up in a heartbeat IF there are positions to be filled. My DD's team lost her assistant coach this past season and the head coach asked if I wanted the Asst. job (and I have no coaching experience!). I am also employed by the local school district, so I could have just slid into that position. I turned it down only because of scheduling issues and the fact that I think my DD would be HORRIFIED if I was attending her practices as a "coach!" What area will you be moving to? Also, keep in mind that the HS teams will vary from year to year, depending on who's coming in, who's graduating, if any club girls are allowed to participate, etc.

Oh, I forgot to add, that the school systems DO give preferential treatment to certified/classified staff, BUT I also know that if there's no one qualified to coach, they do go outside the school system. One of our local high schools hired a gymnastics coach who has never been employed in the system. Another school closer to DC was in danger of losing their program this year due to the lack of a coach. They finally hired someone in January, so those girls were only able to compete in maybe 3 meets for the season. Good luck!

It depends on the school district really as far as the details, like anything. Also, they usually do try to get teachers to take the positions first, however with a lot of sports that doesn't work out (it's a really big time commitment). So, actually, I've seen a lot of college and grad students coaching teams of all sports. It is more ideal because they have the time in the evenings. I'd contact the athletic director at the two schools with your interest (some teams practice together if they are close by to share resources).

Don't live in Virginia, but I know in our school district(and I imagine many others), they post the open coaching positions within the school district every year to see if any teachers or other employees are qualifed or interested. Usually for sports like gymnastics, ice hockey and even boys lacrosse, they don't get any internal applications and then open up the positions to anyone. Of the 3 high schools close by with gymnastics teams, none are coached by school district employees.
I agree with gymdog---contact the AD at each school.
Good luck, sounds like a school would be lucky to have you.

In my county, they post the vacancies each quarter before each particular season starts. Yes, the opening first go to Staff emails, but if there aren't any "takers," then they go to the public website. I agree w/Gymlawmom, any school would be chomping at the bit to hire you!

Thanks so much for all of the great information, I really appreciate it! I'll be moving to the Harrisonburg area, and since there are no competitive club gyms in the area, I'm guessing there isn't much conflict between club teams and the school team. I'll get in touch with the ADs at both schools to see if it's a possibility. Thanks again, I really appreciate all of the input!

If you're going to JMU, forget the coaching and join their club team! They are very active and just competed at NAIGC Nationals in Richmond. Two of our local favs. are part of the club team!!!

Thanks so much for all of the great information, I really appreciate it! I'll be moving to the Harrisonburg area, and since there are no competitive club gyms in the area, I'm guessing there isn't much conflict between club teams and the school team. I'll get in touch with the ADs at both schools to see if it's a possibility. Thanks again, I really appreciate all of the input!

I would also look into the possibility of a class program using the facilities. Other universities do it. Possible way to raise revenue for the club program. For some reason I feel JMU has in the past but maybe I am incorrect about this. Anyway, it may just take someone willing to be in charge. As far as who you might have to ask about that...in my experience you'd want to contact facilities (whoever is in charge of the gymnastics building and since gymnastics is now a club sport probably the recreational sports department). Rec sports and facilities probably has some community outreach arms anyway because usually the communities does use facilities.

I would also look into the possibility of a class program using the facilities. Other universities do it. Possible way to raise revenue for the club program. For some reason I feel JMU has in the past but maybe I am incorrect about this. Anyway, it may just take someone willing to be in charge. As far as who you might have to ask about that...in my experience you'd want to contact facilities (whoever is in charge of the gymnastics building and since gymnastics is now a club sport probably the recreational sports department). Rec sports and facilities probably has some community outreach arms anyway because usually the communities does use facilities.
There was a class program using the JMU facilities, but it looks like when the program was dropped they were forced to find another facility. Currently, it looks like they are operating out of a middle school gym and only offer classes one day a week. So, it's looking like JMU isn't too willing to hold a program within their gym. I guess it would be worth a shot.
I'm actually not going to JMU, but have looked into their club team. My body is shot from my years in the gym, but it could be fun to play around a little, and at the very least stayed involved in gymnastics if nothing else works out. Maybe if I found a few other people on the club team willing to start something up we might have a little luck.
Thanks so much for all the good leads and tips, I'm excited that there might be at least a few more possibilities than I originally thought.

There was a class program using the JMU facilities, but it looks like when the program was dropped they were forced to find another facility. Currently, it looks like they are operating out of a middle school gym and only offer classes one day a week. So, it's looking like JMU isn't too willing to hold a program within their gym. I guess it would be worth a shot.
I'm actually not going to JMU, but have looked into their club team. My body is shot from my years in the gym, but it could be fun to play around a little, and at the very least stayed involved in gymnastics if nothing else works out. Maybe if I found a few other people on the club team willing to start something up we might have a little luck.
Thanks so much for all the good leads and tips, I'm excited that there might be at least a few more possibilities than I originally thought.

Ah okay. Yeah I have no idea the circumstances surrounding it, I just thought at one point they had something like that. What you described reminded me of UMd's Gymkana group: Gymkana - Soar Above the Influence

I think that's an excellent program...one we should see more of. It would be greater for older teens too to stay involved in something like that (sort of see where it intersects with the cheer phenomenon).

I went to a Gymkhana Home Show in high school and thought it was incredible, it really is too bad that more places haven't picked up on the idea and it is another avenue to pursue. Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back