WAG Holiday Practice Schedule

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They just change the times and do them during the day instead of at night but hours are the same. They don't close for the week, only about 3 days.

Our last day is dec 23 and we start up again on jan 4. Need some down time with family. Our first meet isn't until feb 6th.

The hours/practices for compulsories generally stay the same, but sometimes they add or change the hours of the optional girls. Rec classes are completely closed over the school break in winter.

Ours is also only closed on Christmas eve, Christmas day and New Year's Day. They have switched to day time practice and have an extra day during the two weeks.
This is exactly what DD's gym did. Right before season starts--no way they'd close entirely for a week.

Christmas week we are closed, New Years week we have the same hours but during the day instead of at night. Rec is apparently closed both weeks.

Depends on the HC! With old HC, DD (a compulsory post-season) was back in the gym the morning of the 26th. Interim HC, compulsories are off from the 24th-Jan. 1. Optionals are going into their season, so they only have 24-25 and 31-1 off, IIRC.

Winter Holiday practice schedule:
The Holiday practice is purely based upon the USA-G program (JO vs.Xcel) and level as their seasons and macro-cycles of training differ. (In our State, the L3-5's will have just finished State Championships and most gymnasts will be upgrading skills and strength. The Xcel and JO L6-9's will be coming off a first meet and preparing for an early January meet. ) All groups will have a minimum of 2 days made available to train during the 2 week Holiday. USA-G L7-9's and Xcel will have 6 scheduled practices.

The above is a hard compromise as our Staff needs a Holiday Break, like parents/gymnasts, but the competition schedule mandates hard effort. Our practice schedule was planned long ago so that respect could be given to all involved. My family just knows that the "coaches season" has a rhythm that is different from the local school Holiday schedule.

Each gym, business, will be different in application of Holiday schedules. Check with your business owner as they will better be able to speak to the specific challenges or opportunities for your situation.

Best to you and your athlete, SBG -

Gym A closes on the 19th until school starts the second week of January, Gym B has a holiday camp the week of Christmas and then closes until January 1st. (I take a tumbling focused class at non competitive gym b and my normal level 2/3 classes at gym a)

We switch to daytime practices, but practice pretty much every day except Xmas eve & day and New Years eve & day.

The girls also have a sleepover at the gym. Starts at 9 PM until maybe 10 AM the next day. The girls love it....but get absolutely no sleep....so it is really an "over" not a "sleepover."
We call those "wake overs !" LOL

Thanks so much everyone. Sounds like my kids gym falls in middle with reduced schedule. The season seems to goes so fast after the new year. I try to manage their development as best as I can without pressing too much or getting in way. I was thinking of arranging some private lessons but will just leave well enough alone.

My gym increases hours over the holidays. We have a small break from the 19th -27th and have New Year's Day off but we are training every day except Sunday from 8-12...

3 weeks off between school ending and early January.
Rec kids start again when school starts.
Competitive kids keep the same hours per week, but train during the day and generally for less sessions, longer hours each session.

Old gym officially had " optional " practices ... But the pressure was on to go to these practices. A big deal was made about it.

New gym closes for a few days for Christmas and New Years. Amazingly , DD seems much fresher and in better shape with 5 days off. She's Level 7 and really was rarin' to go after Thanksgiving ! ( 5 days off including weekend. )

We used to shut for the 2 weeks the schools shut. But this year we are in a warehouse for gym so we are closing on the 23rd and opening on the 3rd, but there are 2 optional daytime training sessions for squad and pre-squad girls between Xmas and New Years :)

No break. The only days they have off are Christmas Day and New Year's Day. And Sundays, which are never a practice day. The practices move to daytime practices during break, which is proving to be a very difficult thing to manage for a family with two working parents...

Looks like we'll have the 25th and 26th and 1st off and that is it. Not sure if the practices will be in the morning or evening. I am hoping for the morning.

No rec at all for two weeks. Team switches to am practices, no practice on Christmas or New Year's Day. I would be happy to have a week off!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back