Parents How do you spend your time during practices?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AGymDad

Proud Parent
As DD made it in the entry-team, she will do more practices.
DD likes it that I stay and watch her, but I certainly don't want to do this every time.
When she was in rec, I had two hours on saturday afternoon to do something (usually groceries), and I watched the last 30-40 minutes. The sessions I watched completely were very rare.

This year it is more complicated due to the team selection and DD2 also wanting to do some pre-school gymnastics (practices have 1 hour in between, so enough time to bring DD2 home and drive DD1 to the Gym (and then groceries). This keeps my saturday well occupied.

The Gym is a 10 to 20 minute drive (depending on traffic). Mom doesn't like to drive...

For team practices during the week, I still have to find something that works. I tried driving home during practice, but then I only have 1 full hour of useful time at home (and the extra stress of returning, finding a parking spot,...).
There are no other sports for adults at that time in the sportcomplex, but there is a fitness just across the street, so I might try this.

What are you doing during practices?
Any tips for other things to do?

I run about 20 miles a week. I'd say about 3/4 or more of my miles are put in while my kids are at the gym. I also bring my laptop to the gym sometimes and work there. I hate driving back and forth even though we're pretty close.

Just be careful with the laptop thing. My previous one had a slightly loose back and when it unexpectedly died at a very young age, the computer folks attributed it to "some odd white dust that seemed to have collected inside and gummed it up." True story!

Our practices are four hours with a 1/2 hour commute each way so I do go home in between. I have had to stay at the gym a few times for outside reasons and on those occasions I logged onto the Wifi and got some work done.

If you can I would try to get a workout in!

Not funny you had to buy a new laptop, but the chalk part--------hilarious!
I run about 20 miles a week. I'd say about 3/4 or more of my miles are put in while my kids are at the gym. I also bring my laptop to the gym sometimes and work there. I hate driving back and forth even though we're pretty close.

Just be careful with the laptop thing. My previous one had a slightly loose back and when it unexpectedly died at a very young age, the computer folks attributed it to "some odd white dust that seemed to have collected inside and gummed it up." True story!

There was another thread where people discussed things to do, but it was mainly in terms of avoiding the psycho parents who truly should and must be avoided at all costs. But, to sum up, I am in the same situation, and I have become VERY creative. So here we go, and btw, I would LOVE a fitness center to be nearby, it would be awesome.
1. bring your laptop and don't worry about the dust. I easily kill an hour this way.
2. bring your running shoes, and even if you don't run, WALK. Chart out a course, and do at least 3 miles.
3. Go to that gym, and after you are done, shower. Kills time.;)
4. Plan out meals for the week
5. Bring work. If you can get something done during this time, it means more time with your kids later
6.If there is a store nearby, purchase items needed; don't go binge just for the sake of shopping
7. Bring a book, and plug in your phone to classical music on Pandora
8. If you are not a reader, then get back on that laptop and look at your fantasty football lineup.:p
....just a few suggestions....congrats to your DD!!!:D

but it was mainly in terms of avoiding the psycho parents who truly should and must be avoided at all costs.

....just a few suggestions...

I don't think there are any psycho's in our gym (it is also a totally different setting compared to the US).

These are good suggestions. I'm going to keep the Saturday groceries (that already worked fine with a store nearby).
Working on a laptop (or tablet) somehow doesn't really work with me. I'm unable to concentrate on work while DD is flying across the gym room. Killing zombies or working on my fallout shelter on my phone can keep me busy, but it is hardly productive.

I'm going to inquire about the fitness room. Actually, now I think about it: it is the perfect excuse to start doing something sportive again...

We have 3-3 hour practices a week. With traffic making it back home is not worth the wear and tear on my car or psyche lol. I don't want to spend 3 hours in the car for a 3 hour practice. There are a few team moms I sit and talk with. I am on our booster board so usually someone is asking me something. I try to use the time planning and working on our meet we will have in late Oct. Or I do real work lol. Sometimes I find a corner and just read. There is one mom who goes to work out down the street and I may start going with her. Luckily the crazy moms we have at our gym are rec moms. And they drive me batty.

Any where but the gym.

Library, food shop, date night with husband, my gym, home (its 45m to 1h back and forth but that still leaves 2 hours at home), somewhere with free wi fi and the tablet or lap top. Reading any where but the gym. Get together with my grown up friends. Home Depot, Target, Michaels, B&N. Crochet or knit any where but the gym.

Get a ton of Christmas shopping done during the season.

I learned to knit when my kids were toddlers, because I could see that I was about to spend huge chunks of time waiting around for them. I was right. That beginning knitting class was the best money I ever spent (plus we have a lot of cute hats and scarves...which is kind of dumb because we live in a place that isn't really cold, but whatever).

I also bring my laptop and/or iPad and work when I need to. I'm a little alarmed at the chalk dust story--I'd never thought of that, but it makes sense. So maybe now more iPad and less laptop.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back