How many comps a year ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

meeeshymoo

Proud Parent
Hello, how many comps do your gymmies compete in a year on average ?.

DD did 6 last year, which seems a small amount compared to our US friends. Think there may be a few more this year.

Was quite a nice number as seemed a good balance between training new skills and practising routines.

It is usual 3-5. Three qualifiers then if you qualify there are other comps at either Provincial or National level. Though qualifying here is not that easy.

At 8, DD can't compete provincially. So 3 invitationals a year. Our provincial/national/interclub 9+ girls are like bogwoppit explained, plus our hosted invitational and an optional travel meet (usually to US). So in min 4, max 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our gym does ten, plus state (and regionals and nationals). That seems like a lot! Season is January to April.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

The # of meets at our gym depends on level. Our level 9/10 girls did 6 invitationals plus States, Regionals, Nationals from mid-Dec till early May.

6 meets sounds lovely. DD did 8 plus states last year and it was pretty overwhelming. Might not have been so bad if they had been evenly spaced over 4 months, but there was a time when we had 5 meets in one 6-week period, including a travel meet (well, all of our meets, except for our home meet, are between 2-4 hours away, but I mean a 12-hours-in-a-bus-3-nights-in-a-hotel travel meet) and that was hard (for me, at least... she seemed pretty unphased by it).

I think DD will do 2 - regional voluntary grade 5 next month and then a team competition at the end of the year. She could have done a F&V comp at the start of the year, but it was only one week after we switched gyms so we didn't know about it in time.

6 meets sounds lovely. DD did 8 plus states last year and it was pretty overwhelming. Might not have been so bad if they had been evenly spaced over 4 months, but there was a time when we had 5 meets in one 6-week period, including a travel meet (well, all of our meets, except for our home meet, are between 2-4 hours away, but I mean a 12-hours-in-a-bus-3-nights-in-a-hotel travel meet) and that was hard (for me, at least... she seemed pretty unphased by it).

On and to add we don't have a "Competition season", so they are spread out through the year, normalky november to July

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Our girls competed USAG and AAU (because of the distance we have to travel for meets). Therefore, we would actually have 2 meets in one weekend at times. In all, levels 4 & 5 had about 10-11 meets, (4 USAG, 6 AAU, including state meets).

My dd does on average with sectionals and states somewhere between 10 - 14 meets a year for the club and she is also on High school so that is another 8 or so meets for HS. And she loves every moment of it.

Just realized this was in the U.K. forum. Sorry.

Thats OK I think we are all interested. The UK has a lot less meets. My dd when she was competing in the UK used to do around 3 a year. Strangely the lower level clubs sometimes used to do more - sort of local friendlies and floor and vault things.

our WA gymnasts do:

1) Grades - March or April depending on which grade they are doing
2) Regional levels qualifier - July
3) Levels - September/October
4) Regional Team Championships (levels based) - November
5) County Championships (levels based) - November
6) Inter-County Teams (levels based) December
7) In house Club Championships - December

We can also opt to go to various invitationals if we'd like to.
Next year we hope to take some gymnasts to challenge cup as we will have our first batch of FIG gymnasts for a while!

Ours increase as they get older. Level 4 only do 4 - compulsory, voluntary, county and one invitational , unless they make national finals when it's one or two more. Level 3 they do another invitational and also get the chance to do an international comp. Not too sure beyond that, but think there are a couple more team type comps at that stage. The grades girls get to do more I think.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back