WAG How Many Elite Gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But isn't it really more than ever the days of the Karolyis? Because no matter who you are or who your coach is, ultimately you have to pass by Marta to get to the national team?

Not sure what you mean, that is the national team, but I was referring to the concentration of elite gymnasts with only a handful of coaches. That Marta eventually became the national team director is kind of incidental to what I meant (although obviously what I described played a large role in her getting that job). BECAUSE of the national team developmental programs that have been instituted, more coaches are capable of producing an elite gymnast. This is absolutely essential to team USA success because our talent pool is phenomenal. Not all of the parents of the talented gymnasts will choose to send them to other states, etc. Its important to have as many coaches as we can have access to talent development programs.

But we ultimately still have some centers where a lot of people want to switch in order to be with an elite team or try to get a more favorable position with the national team staff. That is just the way it's always going to be, just like gym switches at any level of gymnastics really, people change and things happen. But we also have a lot of coaches and kids throughout the country that are doing just as well as the kids at these centers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back