How old to start judging? (UK)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

thisusernameiscool

Hello,
I am a 13 year old gymnast from the UK. I have a persistant leg injury (I've had it for almost 6 months o_O) and we haven't even got a diagnosis in this time, making me a little down as I can't run or do any stretches involving my leg (splits, pike fold, etc). Today I was at a local competition and our club needed someone to calculate the average scores on vault. I jumped at the chance, and spent the rest of the day processing score slips with a well-worn pencil and my brain. Whilst I was there, I could see up close what the judges were doing, and I also did a little running and got to see what other judges were doing, too. I think it would be great if I could become a judge, and my family and friends' parents said I looked as if I belonged as a judge.
So...
Does anyone know how old you have to be to start judging in the UK? (please don't tell me just to ask my coach, I'm off gym for a while because I'm ill :()

Thanks for your help!~

I believe it is 16. It is great that you are interested in judging! Ask someone to teach you some basics and you could start practicing in your club now! Judges are very valuable club members. I know we encourage our parents to become judges as they always want to know why their children get the scores they end up with - it also really helps the club as there is a £25 fine if the club can't provide a judge for the comps they have entered (in my region at least!).

thisusernameiscool - when are you 15? There wouldn't be much point in doing a course this side of the olympics anyway as the code will change then!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back