Parents How to Talk to the Coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

balancedmom

Proud Parent
HI all-- DD, L6 last year is struggling with L7 skills-- she ahs always taken a bit more time than others. New coaches seem to be paying most of their attention to the kids who are most improving. How can we talk to the coaches about this and get a positive outcome so DD can get some time, attention and keep progressing? thanks

It is frustrating when this happens, I see it all the time, perhaps it is human nature and they don't intent to behave this way, the best way to go is maybe encourage your daughter to work hard and try her best (she might already be doing that) and if she needs help perhaps she can ask the coach herself. My daughter has decided that (in her own words) that it is not a good idea to be the "golden girl" and just work hard and get in with it, you will be surprised what the coaches notice, I thought the coach didn't always take much notice of my daughter but found out I was wrong as when I was having a chat with her a few days ago she said that my daughter is very grown up for her age and that she was a hard worker and always listens.

I don't think you can say something to the effect of my dd's not getting enough attention and have a positive outcome. I think the best conversation could be to talk about her goals and ask what can be done to help her reach them. Maybe she needs some private lessons to help her catch up. I agree with the post above, that if it comes from her, it could be even more powerful.

i agree with ZJsmom. Private lessons sometimes are the only way to catch up in that scenario.

The situation described is also a downside of being at the bottom of the pack skills-wise in your training group. A lot of parents think working out w/ better gymnasts will push their child to get better more than being in an easier/lower training group, but sometimes it has the opposite effect. If it doesn't get better, and privates are not an option, would moving her to a group where she is one of the stronger gymnasts be an option?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back