WAG Identifying Elite Talent-- how young can you tell a child has that special something?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Seeker

Proud Parent
Creating a new thread from conversation that began in "Missing School for Training"....very interested to hear what other coaches have to say!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Gymmommy71
There was a post that implied that the identification of natural ability isn't always correct at the really young ages. I would suspect that in at least some cases the coaches are "off"...not sure though.

Coaches - can you comment on this? Can you always tell an "elite caliber" gymnast from just a "regular gymnast" (you know one that will peak at only L9/L10...haha, likes thats "bad" or something ;)) just by watching them for a short amount of time at age 5/6/7? Or does it sometimes take a while to pan out?

That's an interesting question. Maybe you should post it in its own thread because it might get lost here. I think different coaches will have different takes, obviously.

When you look at gyms that have elite-track programs (that actually do produce elites), obviously not all of their gymnasts are in those programs. Even WOGA has a regular old L4, L5 team same as everyone else. There is some level of selection going on, and although gyms might differ about at what point that selection should take place, it isn't as if they just give all the kids in the gym 35 hour a week training schedules and see which ones sink and which ones swim.

You can only take a look at their skill ability related to their own age, as opposed to what they'll be capable of doing when they're older. It's not that hard to predict future size, but that's about all, and you can't pick an elite on size alone.

The most significant "gift" an elite must have is the heart, will, discipline, and desire that it takes to get the job done at that level. Get back to me immediately when you figure out a way to "forecast" those qualities 5-8 years into the future, because until you can do that, it's pretty much a fine tuned, well educated "crap shoot".

it most certainly takes awhile...like 10 years...a decade of your life...like you were 30 when you started with the child...and then you were 40...and several people passed away in that time and you missed the wakes...and your kids grew up...and you missed several weddings...and baptisms...and bar/bat/mitvahs...and communions...and the common family birthday parties...and waited to watch "Oscar" winners on your TIVO 2 years after the release...and all the while the coach wonders if the kid will make it at the elite level.

"it's pretty much a fine tuned, well educated crap shoot" is an understatement. :)

In my opinion, all gymnasts have the potential to be world-class gymnasts. You just need the discipline and the true passion for the sport. You need to also have a very strong desire to be elite.

In my opinion, all gymnasts have the potential to be world-class gymnasts. You just need the discipline and the true passion for the sport. You need to also have a very strong desire to be elite.

And LOTS of family support, and a fair bit of money that they can part with.

It's not that hard to predict future size, but that's about all, and you can't pick an elite on size alone.

^^^ I'm curious how you can predict future size. I worry about my dd height as she matures, as half our family is tall, the other half short, soooo it can go either way. I know that size won't be an issue for quite some years, but was curious what indicators you can see at a young age that show if a gymnast will be unusually tall (or short).

There are some coaches that assess probable height using the parents height, the kid's foot size relative to their current height, and the chart pediatricians use to figure out what "percentile" a child falls into.

I can't tell you how these "metrics" are used because I was never that picky.....if a kid could do skills x through z, I'd put em on the team. You'd be suprized at what a 5'9" kid can learn.....if they want to badly enough.

^^^ I'm curious how you can predict future size. I worry about my dd height as she matures, as half our family is tall, the other half short, soooo it can go either way. I know that size won't be an issue for quite some years, but was curious what indicators you can see at a young age that show if a gymnast will be unusually tall (or short).

As others have said, in Australia we do choose our elites at 5 or 6 and one of the factors we choose them on is size. (I am not saying I agree with that but it is what is done). Generally future size is determined by looking at the parents. This is not always accurate but it often is. If the child has a 5 foot tall dad and 4'10" mother then good chance they will be short. Two 6 foot parents and chances are they will be tall. It doesn't always work, some families are as you state all over the place, but it is often accurate.

no child is ever selected on size alone.

Parents aren't always the best predictors. There are definitely exceptions.

My dd takes very strongly after my mother in law's side of the family. My mother in law is just over 5 feet and has had an elite gymnast and two professional acrobats in the family.

My dd's body type is NOTHING like mine and she barely even looks like me. She looks like a spitting image of my mother in law. I am 5'5" and my husband is 6'1".

Our pediatrician says my dd will be 5'2" if she is lucky based on growth charts (she has had very steady growth and percentiles since she was 2) .

I hope that her coaches don't look at us as her future. She's pretty tiny so I don't think it is an issue, but maybe I should parade my mother in law around the lobby a bit? Hee Hee :)

Re: Identifying Elite Talent--

As others have said, in Australia we do choose our elites at 5 or 6 and one of the factors we choose them on is size. (I am not saying I agree with that but it is what is done). Generally future size is determined by looking at the parents. This is not always accurate but it often is. If the child has a 5 foot tall dad and 4'10" mother then good chance they will be short. Two 6 foot parents and chances are they will be tall. It doesn't always work, some families are as you state all over the place, but it is often accurate.

no child is ever selected on size alone.

The powers-that-be better make sure the parents they are looking at are, in fact, the biological parents.... :rolleyes:

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

As others have said, in Australia we do choose our elites at 5 or 6 and one of the factors we choose them on is size. (I am not saying I agree with that but it is what is done). Generally future size is determined by looking at the parents. This is not always accurate but it often is. If the child has a 5 foot tall dad and 4'10" mother then good chance they will be short. Two 6 foot parents and chances are they will be tall. It doesn't always work, some families are as you state all over the place, but it is often accurate.no child is ever selected on size alone.
What if the Dad is 6 ft & Mom is 5'3 + some hairs? How tall would u predict my DD to be?

It is nice to hear of a successful tall girl in gymnastics! I always think of Svetlana Khorkina who was 5'5" and was very successful with beautiful lines. Height in our family is all over the place, we are both 5'8", hubby's sis is 5'2, but my sis 5'9". Certainly our dd is not tall for her age, but not super tiny either. I'm glad to hear that not all coaches care about how tall a girl becomes, as much as they care that she has the drive and desire!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad to hear that not all coaches care about how tall a girl becomes, as much as they care that she has the drive and desire!

I'd say that most coaches don't care too much about height...we have tall gymnasts at almost every club in our state. Most coaches are not elite coaches either though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back