IGC Thanksgiving Clinic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am brand new here, so hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

Has anyone's daughter done the IGC summer clinic? My daughter is newly turned 6 and I was considering it (she would not stay overnight). Thanks in advance :O).

My daughter did a 3 day holiday type camp when she was a 6 1/2 year old L4 and loved it. Mine didn't do overnight either. Never been to IGC though, so not sure on that particular camp, but I bet she would have a lot of fun.

This is just a cautionary word of advice (and this may just apply to my daughter's gym), but you might want to check with the gym your daughter trains at to see if they are okay with her going to the camp.

We had several team girls go to one of the nationally known camps (won't mention the name so I don't offend anyone) this past summer and found out after this fact that this is greatly frowned upon by the gym, so much so that now team girls are not allowed to attend outside camps at all or risk being asked to leave the team.

It was discussed at length the issues of training at these camps and that sometimes a skill is learned in a way that it isn't trained at your gym and the coaching staff has to re-teach the skill and breaking a bad habit is so hard in gymnastics.

Additionally at a lot of these camps they let girls work a "dream skill or skills" that may or may not be appropriate for their level. Several of the girls from my daughter's gym came back from camp thinking they could do giants and flyaways into the pit and the coaches were just cringing at how not ready they were for these skills.

Just a heads up as the parents of these kids were completely thrown off guard by the response as they never even thought to ask.

My daughter is going to the Thanksgiving clinic at IGC in two weeks. She is 6 and is not staying over but will attend both days.

Never thought to ask her gym....but I do know that some of the older girls go outside summer camps.

Thanks so much everyone! I sent in her registration yesterday! She doesn't know yet, but she will be so excited!

My next question is that they recommend grips, but she has never used them. She is in an advanced group of younger girls (5 - young 6's) at her gym which I think is technically a Level 3 and I don't think she would use grips until she transitions out of that group to Level 4 (probably sometime next year).

I really don't know much about gymnastics (I played soccer growing up!), so I'm still learning... would grips be more beneficial for her to have there? I don't mind purchasing them, I'm just not sure if they would be more of a hindrance since she has not used them before. I really don't know anything about them - please enlighten me :eek:). I did ask the camp and they said that if she doesn't have them, to just buy a roll of tape there and they will make her 'tape grips' for extra protection with so much time on bars.

I wouldn't get her grips yet unless her coaches want her in them. Just buy some tape and send it with her. Tape grips work very well, especially at her age and skill level. :) They take time to break in and get used to, which would be no fun at a camp.

My girls did IGC summer camp last year and I could brag for pages and pages about how impressed I was.
About the grips, I would talk with her coach. They will know what is best for her.
If you have any specific questions about the camp feel free to send me a message.
Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back