Info on Geza Pozar?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Our gym uses Geza Pozar as a choreographer for our floor routines. He charges $500. Is this average? In addition, he comes to our gym about 2 times year and our HC sets up group privates with him to "fine tune" our floor routine and beam routine. We are put in groups of 3 and each pay $50 for the hour-total $150. Recently, our HC suggested we get single privates with Mr. Pozar. For a cost of $150/hr, I am wondering is this necessary? Why isn't the HC enough? I've looked up at Mr. Pozar's credentials. He choreographed for Dominic Moceaneau, has won some gymnastics choreography awards. So, I guess, he has good credentials. But is he necessary? Is this practice common? My DD is training L8. Can anyone tell me the benefits from getting a private with Mr. Pozar? Also, does anyone have any experiences they've had with Mr. Pozar they are willing to share? Thank you.

I guess if it in your budget go for it. I personally think $500 is plenty enough especially at level 8. Can you video it right after it is done or as it is being done with the corrections and just go over it rather than forking over another $150 for a private for "touch up's"

From his website: Welcome to Geza Pozsar's Choreography Website!

$500 would be high for a typical gymnastics routine...but I know many choreographers that charge $250 - $350 and they don't have 1/100th the experience of Geza Pozsar. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Geza was born to Hungarian parents in Romania. At the age of 9 he was selected to the Ballet Academy of Cluj. He graduated in 1970 as a valedictorian after an impeccable dance education. A knee injury forced him to quit professional dancing in 1973.

The same year, Geza became the choreographer and dance coach of the Romanian National Gymnastics Team including the legendary Nadia Comaneci and continued his dedicated work until his defection to the US during the "Nadia 1981" exhibition tour.

In 1982, Geza opened his own gymnastics center in Sacramento, California. In 1983, he played himself in the movie "Nadia."

After choreographing Mary Lou Retton’s floor routine for the 1984 Olympics, Geza had the privilege to create floor exercises for many gymnastics celebrities such as: Diane Durham, Kristie Phillips, Phoebe Mills, Chelle Stack, Betty Okino, Michele Campi, Kim Zmeskal, Larissa Fontaine, Jennie Thompson, Kristen Maloney, Alissya Beckerman, Morgan White … and the entire 1996 gold medalist US Olympic Team including, Shannon Miller, Dominique Moceanu, Dominique Dawes, Jaycie Phelps, Amanda Borden, Kerri Strug and Amy Chow.

Geza participated in four Olympics and eight World Championships as a member of the coaching staff for Romanian and American teams. As a long time member of the US Elite Coaching Staff, Geza coached and lectured in numerous training camps, clinics, workshops and USA Gymnastics Congress seminars. In recognition of the quality of his sustained work Geza was awarded two times the prestigious title "Best Choreographer of the Year" by the United State Elite Coaches Association.

Geza is currently coaching at Pozsar's Gymnastics in Sacramento, CA with distingushed gymnasts such as Emilia Elberle and Edward Mikaelian.

It is "high" in general, but about average for a choreographer of that caliber (I say this having worked with choreographers who charge that much, and have less of a "name" value than he does, but are probably comparable). Unfortunately the really good work comes with a price tag attached - supply and demand. Some gyms make lower level arrangements and these can often result in good routines but oftentimes the quality is more uneven and it really shows in the girls who are weaker dancers.

But of course, it's a ton of a money, especially when you add in music. So I'm not saying I'm "for" it, just that that's the deal. Some gyms are lucky enough that a coach at the gym can do choreography of this caliber and then it is probably going to be less expensive for the private lesson to learn the routine.

Sometimes gym make arrangements like getting one beam routine choreographed, and teaching it to all the level 7s or whatever for a lower cost. For level 7 I would say the commitment should be lower and less expensive. I can see "investing" in a more expensive choreographer with level 9s and 10s who are in the hunt for an NCAA spot.

I think this is likely to be a big issue going forward - this issue was my first thought when I learned that in the next cycle level 6 would be an "optional" level. I was coaching at a smaller gym where parents tended to have less resources at the time, and I could see what a big burden it would be for people possibly only two years after the children start competing. I realize optionals can be "fun" but you see it can be a big expense for the family now and big commitment for the gym to get all these children routines that are decent and will score decently, not awkward, etc. This is a lot harder than it seems by the USAG JO standards. Not really the same as other systems where all the routines are optional but there are different expectations. I expect some gyms will have to create one routine for the level 6s anyway and all the children will learn the routine.

I agree with everyone that though it is a high price option, it seems to be what I would expect to pay for someone of his caliber. I will say that given the opportunity, I would pay that much for my dd to work with him. He taught dance at a training camp she had been to a few years ago, and he was wonderful. He was funny, entertaining, energetic, and inspiring. He did the dance moves right along with the girls and they all loved him. His session was everyone's favorite part of the camp.

geza is great if you want a floor. the fee is fair for his experience. forget the privates.

Its important to factor in travel and accommodation expenses. Geza flies in and stays he doesn't live around the corner. His expenses are much higher than an average choreographer of course due to this.

Geza Pozar is perhaps the worlds most renowned gymnastics choreographer. I live in Australia and we know of him too. he choreographed for Nadia and defected to the USA with the Karolyi's. You are talking about a man who has been through gymnastics since the grass roots and been a part of its development for a long time.

Thanks for all your responses. I agree with everyone that as far as experience goes, Geza does have it. He is fun and the girls enjoy him. He choreographs all our girls floor routines and does a lot of "quirky", fun type choreography. I think at times it looks too cutsey. But the girls at that age love cutsey stuff. My DD likes her floor routine but does not love it. As far as privates, as some suggested, it may not be the thing to do. I spoke with my DD's HC and she said she wanted a private with Geza so he can fine tune my DD's beam and floor dance part of the TOPS skills test. I guess that's o.k.? no?

My floor routine is done by Geza. And he is fantastic. I know I don't have to pay for it but my parents do and it is a bit pricey but at my club we keep the routine for 2 seasons so its not to ridiculous. I think it is very worth it and you can tell that it is a better routine when you go to meets.

Geza replied to me on LinkedIn...

If anybody wants more info on me they can check out my new updated website at Geza Pozsar Gymnastics Chorography. My price is $450 if I provide the music and $400 if the gymnast provides the music, also I give group discounts. One more thing, I pay for my travel expenses, I ask only for housing at the location.

Hah! Something juicy I can really answer as I worked for Geza for a year and a half leaving a bit over a year ago. From what I have heard through my spiderweb of connections is that he will be doing choreography for Japan's team for 6 months (though that was awhile ago). He got to go there pretty regularly when I was there.

Our girls loved him though I did find their ballet music to get really old fast. He would call a few of them, "beauty" or something like that. Our girls routines were pretty good though I used to tease one of the girls since she had one I called "circus clown" but it worked for her I guess. I just don't like clowns at all.

Apparently, Trudi (Emilia) has said they were playing around with their choreography in response to some of her odd routines. One of the parents told me that who had talked about it with her when I was wondering WTH. Trudi did some splendid choreography that I saw our optionals do over the summer. I was trying to arrange for one of the girls from our college club to get hers done by Trudi but I don't think it worked out schedule wise (she was a former training elite and wanted an awesome routine for NAIGC nationals).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back