WAG Interesting article on the state of gymnastics coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At the GymRep summer camp in Quebec they have many coaches who speak different languages. They learn to communicate through the camp sign language system really quickly, the campers do too. It is amazing how much they are able to communicate with very simple hand signs and a few words. French gym terms and English ones are quite different and yet the camp runs very smoothly.

Communication is a state of mind, and I think kids are incredible decoders if you give them the chance. Adults have a much harder time with foreign languages than kids do.

I agree however you need to also consider the number of hours that a teacher works outside the classroom, the amount of personal money that they spend as well as all the college classes that they are required to take to keep their teacher's license. I don't think that gymnastic coaches have any of those type of requirements to keep their job. As I watch my DS at practice I see little or no interaction from coaches while they are stretching or doing strength training. I see the coaches conversing with each other with their backs turned or on their cell phones. During practice I see them doing drills, but no corrections being made (just feedback you doing it wrong). It has gotten to the point that my 9year has asked me to tape her routines and then she critics them herself. This lack of interaction would not occur in a classroom. Now if the coaches had a college degree such as coaching degree, or kinesiology. Or they were truly "coaching" t his should definitely be a different pay scale.

Terrible gym situation. RUN.

I believe that when the language is limited, then people must go the extra mile to connect in other ways.
My DD understands that after a crappy routine, if coach turns his head away, enough's said.

It may actually mean you know more!

Well, I thought about saying that but then I decided that I shouldn't make too many wild claims either, lol. But it is true that no optional coach in my gym would come up to me and tell me how to teach a RO BHS. We all specialize in what we do well. Kind of sad to hear that's so rare?

Well, I thought about saying that but then I decided that I shouldn't make too many wild claims either, lol. But it is true that no optional coach in my gym would come up to me and tell me how to teach a RO BHS. We all specialize in what we do well. Kind of sad to hear that's so rare?

I know a couple of developmental coaches, their ability to break down and drill skills blows my mind. They are building the blocks of great gymnastics. I totally get what they do is huge.

I believe that when the language is limited, then people must go the extra mile to connect in other ways.
My DD understands that after a crappy routine, if coach turns his head away, enough's said.

What's the point in that though? A crappy routine isn't going to improve if there's no feedback. I hope you don't mean during meets, that's not the time or the place to be expressing disapproval (IMO).

DD's coaches mainly communicate though sign language. Some of the more experienced parents know exactly what is being said from 100 yards away :D. I got to sit and watch a week or so ago, and was quite taken aback to hear them actually speak to each other as well :D. I don't understand a word (English is second language), but DD tells me now she's used to the accent and phrasing she doesn't notice any more.

I am pretty good at "seeing" the biomechanics and physical stuff, but I'm not good at the organising a session and communicating, which is why I don't actively coach.

I agree that we're going down the "personal trainer" route though. Too much academic learning and not enough "feel" for the sport they coach. I've never met a good coach that comes from that background.

Now if the coaches had a college degree such as coaching degree, or kinesiology. Or they were truly "coaching" t his should definitely be a different pay scale.

The article touches on the problems with coaches who also have college degrees. They have a degree in kinesiology or exercise science, but those degrees don't teach them how to be a coach or prepare them to coach. There is vital information missing from those programs, but people may not understand that key point. Teachers in training spend months in a classroom learning how to teach before they are given a degree. To my knowledge (and maybe I am wrong) the same is not true for exercise related degrees.

My DD was with a coach who touted her kinesiology degree. It did absolutely nothing to help her in coaching. She may know how the body moves, but she couldn't communicate that to her gymnasts. And, she thought she knew everything about injuries that occurred in her gym. To the point that she told a girl her foot was only sprained when it was actually broken. The girl sat for hours at practice and the coach didn't even call the parents. She was a know it all who refused to learn how to coach, but has a golden tongue that could sell a used car to a used car salesman.

BTW - I totally agree with other posters...you should look for a new gym. Coaches should be paying attention during stretching and conditioning time. Without coach oversight, bad habits form that are hard to break, like unsquare splits. It sounds like you have a perfect example of coaches who maybe don't know how to coach.

What's the point in that though? A crappy routine isn't going to improve if there's no feedback. I hope you don't mean during meets, that's not the time or the place to be expressing disapproval (IMO).

DD's coaches mainly communicate though sign language. Some of the more experienced parents know exactly what is being said from 100 yards away :D. I got to sit and watch a week or so ago, and was quite taken aback to hear them actually speak to each other as well :D. I don't understand a word (English is second language), but DD tells me now she's used to the accent and phrasing she doesn't notice any more.

I am pretty good at "seeing" the biomechanics and physical stuff, but I'm not good at the organising a session and communicating, which is why I don't actively coach.

I agree that we're going down the "personal trainer" route though. Too much academic learning and not enough "feel" for the sport they coach. I've never met a good coach that comes from that background.

Of course, there is plenty of corrections. During warm up of event, corrections are given. Then more corrections are given during complete routines. Then during the final 'show' of the finished product, coach is either pleased or not. If the child has clearly NOT performed to their potential! then coach turns away. No more is needed. It is understood.
US coach on the other hand, gives loads of feedback to the point that the kids don't listen.....it just goes in one ear and out the other.
Coaches are always pleased during competition. I think that is gym-coaching 101.

Reactions: JBS
In reference [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] this what the parents are seeing. hence they have hard time paying the tuition. When they are paying the same amount of money as the parents of the girls that you are working with.

So basically around in circles we go. The sport of gymnastics will stay the same.

Now let's say...theoretically of course...you are at my club...then you know that point # 1 actually happened...and you actually know that I didn't say..."I'm coaching"...you know that I actually did fix the situation...right?...shaping...needles...roundoffs?

Now remember...in gymnastics...all this happens in plain view. In school...no one truly knows what goes on in classrooms.

Last edited:
I see the coaches conversing with each other with their backs turned or on their cell phones.
What?! I don't even know what a cellphone is when I'm coaching. I leave my iPhone in the staff room when I'm on the floor. My iPad, however, always comes with me so I can film my athletes to show them corrections, and also to play videos of great examples of skills, routines, etc.

I think the only reason I could think of texting on my phone would be to brag to JAO. If I get a break, I eat or hydrate.

Or sit. More than likely, downtime is eat, drink, move equipment or use the can.

@Tony Gym Momentum Thanks for stopping by...love your site.

As far as all of my comments...yes...I went on a bit of a rant. After paying enough to get coaches to stick around and give the industry a chance...there has to be some sort of training / mentoring system in place. I am finding that asking a few simple questions is helping a bunch...
  • Head Coaches...walk up to one of your staff during workout and ask them what they are teaching. Also ask them what the gymnasts are learning.
Many times they will tell you that they are working a skill or combo like RO-BHS with the kids. The kids are just in a line doing RO-BHS. They really believe that doing the RO-BHS over and over is teaching. Help them identify a problem on the fly...help them fix it. Maybe the kids need more turnover in their RO so you are going to focus on the needle kick. Show them how to get immediate results with the correction.

I have been spending so much time trying to figure out the answer to what the article is talking about...that I have been neglecting to teach the coaches. I have not been doing my job. Sure...it's frustrating when you mentor someone for a while and then they leave for another industry that will pay better...but you can't give up.

I am starting to take the time to know what I am teaching the coaches...and I seeing great results...the coaches are learning. The atmosphere is catching...they are learning to teach and they are not only teaching the kids...but each other. It is a work in progress...but it is working.

Thank you for your contribution--it exemplifies the value of a site like this. I see great coaches/teachers mostly in those with a particular character trait: caring more about your craft than your pride. Mediocre coaches typically fail to value, or even discourage, feedback.

I keep my phone with me while coaching -- specifically so I can use it for coaching. The entire reason I switched to a smartphone was so that I could use Coaches Eye to video my students and allow them to watch themselves.

But coaches eye is ALL I use it for when I'm on the floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back