WAG Interesting article on the state of gymnastics coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Even using a smart phone or tablet is inefficient compared to a video system.

One of those time delay systems so a gymnast can do a pass or set on apparatus, get off the equipment and then watch themself. Generally 30-45 second delay.

Curious about something...and please know I am FULLY supportive of coaches getting a living wage...but I don't know a lot about what you all do other than when you are with my kid.

What does the average coach do in the gym other than coach? I know as a program director, you have a lot more responsibility than a team coach. But do team coaches have additional responsibilities off of the coaching floor?

I'm late in jumping in on the conversation, but I can add a few tidbits on what other things coaches do when they are not actively coaching. My two kids are coaches. (both teens)

Both take time before each practice to plan out the class. They write down skills they want to work on, they draw pictures of stations they need, (the bigger the class, the more stations- nobody wants to see kids standing around to wait for their turn) They also watch videos of skills and drills they can incorporate into their classes, to make the class more effective, or more interesting, if the drills haven't been changed up in awhile.

They also take continuing ed classes through USAG and it's affiliates. Most of these have been online. (I'll mention here that the planning and online course-taking are not on the time clock) There have been several other in-person seminars and coaching courses one of them has attended, and since we live in a rural area, there is travel time, as well as time for the weekend-long courses. Yes, there are monthly staff meetings, where more group planning and continuing education happens. As much as they have been mentored, they are sometimes part of the mentoring of newer coaches coming in, by as much as their own expertise allows. Every coach can learn something from another coach.

They also spend a good deal of time evaluating and writing up progress reports for each student, with recommendations on whether the student is ready to move up, or not, and to provide feedback for the parents and the gym. They also spend time talking to parents after class, even if it is just a comment or two, between classes.

They also participate in USAG and gymnastics promo activities, like our National Gymnastics Day events, (planning, coaching/setting up, cleaning up) recreational meets (planning, making scorecards, themed props, coaching, setting up, cleaning up), back-to-school fairs, holiday and other exhibitions for local schools and our city (again- coaching, setting up, and cleaning up) They also do custodial duties after the last classes have left for the day.

They actually do quite a bit. It's a job that really does require dedication, planning, physical strength, teaching ability, the willingness to learn, and the ability to direct and enjoy children. It's been a great experience for them. I believe that experience is what makes great coaches.[/QUOTE]

As a parent, I don't know what the answer is for gym owners or coaching. I can only imagine the frustration of owners to find qualified, passionate, educated coaches.

We have some wonderful coaches in our gym - coaches who educate, take the time to speak with me about their plan for my daughters, encourage the gymnasts, have a solid connection with the gymnasts, and coaches whom I would happily pay a surcharge to coach my girls. There are also some coaches who present a challenge to the gym and parents - eating on the gym floor, texting while teaching class, "visit" with other coaches during stretching/conditioning, walk in five minutes before class with wet hair, leave out the back door when their class is over. It is these "challenged" coaches that make is hard to write that tuition check each month, knowing that XYZ gymnast is going to need to do privates to get the skills they aren't being taught in class. This is a huge problem in our gym right now with certain compulsory levels.

What have some of you gym owners or coaches done in your own gyms that have brought up the level of coaching? I would be interested in passing these ideas along in my own gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back