Jump roping on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

starmaker

Does anyone know the point to this drill? DD has been doing these for the last few weeks. At first I thought there has to be a good reason for it because it just doesn't look too safe. DD had two bad falls on the same day. Her foot got caught on the rope and went face first onto the beam! Ooch! She seemed to shake it off and continued with practice. I am just curious as to how common this drill is and what the purpose to it is.

Why not just jump rope on the floor? Why on a beam?

We did this maybe a year or two ago. We used to do it a lot, too. I don't know why we did it. But when my old coach left, we haven't done it since. I agree, it didn't seem very safe! Jumping on the floor seems like it would have the same effect, unless they just wanted the gymnast's to work on balance with jumping on a beam, but I really don't know!

Not sure. They do it sometimes at DDs gym as well. Who knows why. Freaks me out for sure. Poor Liv. Ouch.

I personally don't like it. I think it is an accident waiting to happen. There are other drills for balance and confidence that are safer. A coach needs to be able to explain why such a risky drill is essential. If there was an accident I don't think a coach could justify it. Certainly not for younger children. Maybe for older high level gymnasts more in control of what they need and why.

Maybe another coach can say why this drill is irreplacable

I jump rope on floor, and that's bad enough. Jumping rope on the beam seems like they're just ASKING you to face-plant or seriously fall. And even if you don't trip on the rope, you probably will jump a little weird, and maybe off the beam. It would scare the be-jeezes out of me. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

I think it's a fairly common part of beam warmup. My dd used to always do it at her old gym. I'm not sure if they do now because I just drop her off and really don't spend much time there at all.

We used to do like 100 on each foot, 50 doubles, 100 switching feet (sort of like running). I suppose it would be better for younger kids to start on the lower beams but it's a really good exercise for balance and coordination. I don't think it's inherently more dangerous than a lot of things (some things like doubles, switching feet, etc are harder) but if it was just jump roping and I was seeing a lot of problems I would probably feel the kids did not have the control and ankle stability to move on to more advanced acro skills and do some more on low beam and easier assignments of jump roping on the high beam. Unfortunately we don't have enough beams to spread out enough for this, so I do some other jump drills that take less space per person with the kids. But I think the jumping rope is better.

But the rope may be too long or short, if it is hers I would check it, otherwise she needs to be taught to get a good length and wrap the excess around her hand to adjust to her height. If the rope is too long or short it would cause problems.

Our kids also do this, but I use it only on the floor beam. It is a good drill to help with jumps, especially tuck jumps. When learning jumps, many kids are scared and do sort of whimpy little hops. The jump rope makes it more of a game and they often don't realize how high they are jumping. Before you know it, their balance is great and they are doing high tuck jumps without thinking twice.

My daughter does this drill too. They do 100 forwards, 100 backwards, and 50 on 1 foot both sides. Her group is levels 5-8 but I think the lower groups do some as well.

My youngest dd used to do this too. However, she is only recreational. However, every once in a while, her old coach used to take the girls to high beam (the rec area only has 2 foot beams), and jump rope. My dd was very successful at this drill, which is surprising because beam is definitely not one of her best events. She is a lot better on high beam, though, than low beam. It is disappointing that the gym sold all of the high beams that were for the rec side, and only have low beams.

MamaofEnS

Thank you all for all your responses! I guess it's more common than I thought and there is probably a good reason for this drill. DD has been doing them for several weeks now and been ok with it but for whatever reason was struggling with it last week. I think she may had had a jump rope too long for her. I was not there. I was just told to check out her chest because she fell twice pretty hard.

Pickle did this a lot when she was developmental, but only on the floor beam. Not sure if her coach doesn't it with her now (I'm never there during warm up and drills), but I've seen the older girls do it on the high beams.

The right type and length of jump rope is really important. Here's some info you can look at:
Determining Jump Rope Length: Jump Rope Exercises for Boxing | eHow.com

Most of the ropes can be tied behind the handle to shorten them.

this drill has come and gone and come again since the 60's. i have always found humor in how people come along and complicate an already difficult activity. and it just doesn't make a difference in how well they perform on the beam. lol...

It is done to improve balance and confidence on the beam, and is reccomended by a lot of coaches because it is a fun way to do it.

it does not 'end result' in any appreciable gain in balance. balance on a beam is somewhat an oxymoron. it stimulates proprioception in the feet. it also excercises the small muscles of the foot and ankle. and some kids do find it fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
are u aloud to watch DD's practice?? haha just wonderingg. anyways,, this drill is basically to build endurance for the bodies core.. hope this helped

please don't get me wrong. there's nothing wrong with jumping rope. dance is a better tool for beam.

and if jumping rope were conducive to the "bodies core" then you have to wonder why the entire world of gymnastics, including the elite world, don't do it on a daily basis. again, dance is the better choice.

when we're at the ranch nobody has jumped rope...ever...they climb the rope. more conducive for active training of the "bodies core". but a whole lot of dance is done.

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back