Kip conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastica96

My goal is to get my kip by this summer, so what are some workouts/exercises/drills I could do, preferably AT HOME that could make me stronger for my kip-wise?

:bars:

If you have a pull-up bar, leg lifts would help a LOT. But if you don't, hollow rockers.

Also, you can lay on the ground with your arms above your head, then lift your legs, put your arms up as if your doing a kip, and then snap your legs down and sit up, in a pike.

Not sure if that really makes sense...:rolleyes:

If you have a pull-up bar, leg lifts would help a LOT. But if you don't, hollow rockers.

Also, you can lay on the ground with your arms above your head, then lift your legs, put your arms up as if your doing a kip, and then snap your legs down and sit up, in a pike.

Not sure if that really makes sense...:rolleyes:
No I totally understand! Thanks!

Here's some conditioning I've been doing with my gymnasts as they REALLY need this skill too!

- Leg lifts with ankle weights
- Hang in pike on the bar, keeping legs in contact with the bar, push legs up the bar as high as possible, then bring them back down the bar to toes (the aim is to get right to your hips before coming down and you must keep your legs in contact with the bar all the time)
- Stemme raises - stand in front support on a low bar with feet on a platform (feet should be in front of the bar) then squat down and raise back up to front support with straight arms. This can be done with both feet on the platform and then with one leg raised in contact with the bar and then the other leg.
- Float/Glide forwards, pike to the bar and then let your hips swing backwards keeping feet on the bar (don't try and push legs up the bar)

Remember, the kip is all about timing and the glide is very important.
Keep your head in neutral throughout.
Once you have piked to the bar, let your hips swing back before starting to pull up the bar

Hope this helps :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back