kip help please!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

addicted2tumbling

i need to get a kip for level 5 can someone please give me tips on how to get it?

hope this helps

Is it with or without grips here is 2 examples

with grips

The timing with grips is different with grip you shift earlier.

without grip
The timing you shift a little im mean just a little later.

Work up to the ability to quickly bring your toes/ankles to the bar from a hang. This is preferably done on a wall/stall/swedish bar setup, but can also be done from a hang on a bar. You must be able to quickly snap your toes to the bar to generate momentum into the phase of the kip from the glide to pike.

Work the ability to hold your toes to the bar (V-hang). Again, preferably on the wall/stall/swedish bars but you can do it on a regular bar though it's handy if you have a spotter push your shoulders forward standing behind you so you cannot engage your shoulders to pull your toes to the bar instead of pulling your toes to the bar with your stomach.

Other than that, you should have already mastered stride/front hip circles besides stemme uprises and knee uprises.

An interesting drill is the glide swing, single leg jam through (like a single leg shoot) to support.

Lots of drop/short kips spotted by a coach.

My experience is that the most common problem with a kip is gripping the bar too tightly (which results in the appearance of "pushing away" from the bar at the end). If you have the grip of death, your wrists get stuck on the bottom. If you relax your grip a bit, allow yourself to ALMOST peel as you come up, you'll be able to regrip to the top of the bar.

Aside from that, it's just making sure you have the ab strength to get your toes to the bar quickly (V-ups, toe touches), making sure you're timing it right (you should start right as your glide swing pauses at the top of the front swing), and getting a good, powerful push down on the bar.

My guys to kip drills as follows on girls low bar:

. hanging leg lifts
. hanging leg lifts to bar, then lift up shin and hold
. glide toes to the bar, hold
. glide, single leg through to support
. jump to front support from low block.
. kip machine.

Pretty much everyone has said the main things - however I'd just like to add a couple:

Don't look at the bar once you have jumped into the glide. As soon as you let your head drop backwards you have made it 100x harder to do the kip. I like my gymnasts to keep their chin on their chest throughout.

Also, a good one for the last part of the kip - place a table, or block or anything!! just infront of the low bar. Hold onto the bar and put your feet on the table/block etc Then squat down and try to jump from squat to front support with straight arms

The most important ones I think are - grip, head position and the ability to lift your legs to the bar.

Good Luck!
Marie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back