Kip Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, first of all, this is my first post, so if I did something wrong or put it in the wrong place, sorry.

I am having trouble making my kip. I am close, but I can't seem to get myself all the way up. I can do the glide swing and bring toes to bar, but I end up with my arms bent and the bar is about at my chest. My coach says to shift my wrists and then I will be up, but that won't get me up. I am not even on top of the bar, so I don't think that will fix it. I can make a kip easily with a spot, but not without one. I know this wasn't a very good explanation and that it would help to post a video, but I can't, so please don't ask. I have been working on this for a LONG time (as in, 1-2 years) and I want so badly to make it. Please help! :confused:

I'm sure someone will have a better answer than me, but have you tried some drills that are off the bar to increase muscle memory?? How much practice time do you get for this skill each week? Can you go to open gym or take privates to get more practice? Getting up is the hardest part. My LO has the early steps of the kipping process but gets stuck where you do. My dad says to pretend at the end that you are pulling on a pair of pants, but that means nothing to me or her. Maybe it might resonate with you, though. Also be sure you are conditioning for your stomach muscles, hip muscles, shoulders, and triceps, so you have the strength (I'm sure you do already, though). You may just need more practice, though, even with more spotting until it gets easier and you are doing it more for yourself. The advice your coach gave you is great, but I think this is one of those skills that is hard for everyone to get and knowing what to do and being able to do it are two different things. Eventually, something will "click" and you will get it. Good luck!

Here is one of the off-the-bar drills that might help:
Laying Down Kip Drill - YouTube

There is another one where you start by holding a detached bar over your head and kind of go through the motion while lying down. This is hard to explain, but I'll try. You lay down with the bar over your head, then pike your legs up so your ankles meet the bar, then as you put your legs down the bar will arc from over your head to at your hips (at the same time sliding up your legs) while sitting up at the same time.

Geesh. I probably just confused you. Maybe I can get a video of it.

I only go to gym once a week, and we are only on bars for 1/2 hour. I usually get to practice kips only once or twice each practice. I guess I can try going to open gym. Are there any drills you would suggest?

I edited my above reply. I hope it's more helpful. Sounds like you just need more time to practice the skill. A week is a long time to go without working on a skill like that, IMO, but I'm not a coach so seriously, take what I say with a grain of salt. The pros will be here soon with better advice :)

No, you didn't confuse me! It's just like a kip, but you are laying on the ground. I'll try those drills and see if they help. And I will talk to my coach about getting more practice at open gym. Thanks!

when you near the top, go for the hardest front hip circle you have ever done. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back