Coaches L3 vault salute ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom&Coach

Coach
Proud Parent
What is the proper way for the L3 to salute after their vault (Handstand flatback)
Do they have to sit up on the mat and salute, or can they get off the mat, stand on the floor and salute?

We prefer our L3 athletes after arriving in a lying straight position on the landing surface to dismount to the adjacent mat, (judge side of mat) and salute. This is our choice as it prepares the gymnast for the salute when they advance to a HS vault and is already practiced on their other events.

Judges accept the salute sitting on landing surface or standing.

Best, SBG -

I prefer they salute sitting down on the mat. Sometimes it can take a long time for those little ones to get down to their feet and I would prefer to start judging as soon as possible, rather than watching them climb off the mat. It helps to expedite the meet and minimizes the next gymnast's wait time.

Gympanda and chalkbowl, thanks for your replies. I do respect that both of you wish to get to the business of judging and creating time efficiencies for the meets you judge.

Respectfully, I will continue to ask our coaching staff to encourage the athlete to salute while on their feet. My reasons above and in respect of the tradition of the sport still influence me. I am glad that the R&P (Rules and Policies) allow clubs to have the ability to implement competition discipline, such as this instance and some others, as they teach and implement respect and a nod to traditions in the sport of gymnastics in their athletes.

To due justice to the time efficiencies advanced by the discussion I will sit before my calculator later this evening and see if the time savings is significant and hence worth considering. I am meet director for 2 medium sized meets and have previousely not believed that it was a big enough time savings to consider. Larger time efficiencies have been targets in the past -warm-up prompts, rotation controls, UB settings, equipment adjustments, ext. Hey if it saves some significant time, it would be worth considering a change.

Best, Eric -

The kids pretty much all salute on the mat in our state. A couple years ago, the judges requested it specifically. The kids sometimes forget when they get off the mat, have to come back, etc. It's not a huge deal either way, but on the mat is generally a little more efficient in my experience.

thanks everyone. I have seen it mostly done from mat sitting, but I HATE how it looks. I prefer to have them stand. I guess I will ask the judges if they have a preference :)

As a judge I prefer the sit up and salute. That way I can go ahead and get my score done. Plus you would never believe some of the ways kids get off the mat. Lol. And then forget to salute etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back