WAG L7 Floor -- 2 tumbling passes or 3?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BHS/BLO is in the majority of routines I've seen so far. DD's whole team can do halfs (and some can do fulls, though I don't believe those are allowed at 7), but they don't do them because their layouts are much better.
fulls are allowed. They are a B. We saw them quite a bit in our area last year. Dd had one in her L7 routine last year for half the season, before she was hurt and had to scale back her tumbling.

Yes, L7 DD's first pass is a full. She's pleased that, even with the full in there this year, she seems to be scoring a bit better on floor than she did last year with just the layout and the back tuck. Her coaches aren't looking to turn her into a world-beating L7 but rather to progress her to L8 next year (where she's hoping to be allowed to debut a floor routine with a passable but not awesome 1.5 instead of a perfect full . . . ).

All of our L7 do two passes. Our coach's philosophy is why do the extra pass and incur possible deductions. Our one lonely :) 8 has three passes.

Interesting post from Dunno, re: less is more. I think that DD's coaches agree with this - to some extent (see my previous post about doing minimum requirements for tumbling difficulty at L7. DD can do more difficult tumbling, but they don't want to risk the deductions). I think the thinking for DD's coaches on having 3 passes is that they will physically be prepared as their routines get more difficult, physically, on their bodies.

level 7= less is more.

Dunno, it seems even at L9, less is more. The feeling I am getting is it is always less is more because there is less opportunity for deductions. Is there any level where more is more? L10? If so, why would it change at L10?

Dd says dont give the judges more than they are asking for. That opens up for more deductions. I see lev 9s this yr only doing 2 passes??

DD team does 3 passes from L7 on, unless a kid is really struggling/getting major deductions. They don't, however, do any front LO or twisting until level 8 - well, at least I've NEVER see it from her team...that's where the less is more comes in..3 passes to build endurance and make it easy to re-choreograph for next level, but "lower" difficulty than they may be able to do. Some kids take out the 3rd pass, as I mentionned, if getting deductions. A few repeaters are doing FHS-FP, others just big FHS-FT BHS-BLO and BHS- BT....Most of the deductions come from dance here! (and a .3 deduction for eye direction last meet....too much artistry, me thinks!)

Our level 7s (and most 6s, I think) do 3 passes. FHS-FT or FP, BHS-BT, and BHS-LO. No twsting or front LO until level 8, for us too.

All of our level 7s have 2 passes. I believe our 8s right now have 3 passes, but we have done 2 in the past. We had a level 9 last year with 2 passes who was very successful on floor. Scored a 9.575 at Regionals and place 2nd.

So it sounds like 3 passes are not a necessity at level 9? Dd does roundoff bho double twist, front handspring front layout front tuck, and roundoff bho full twist. I wonder if three passes is getting her more deductions than two

I think it's just a question of how best to get in all the requirements. The coaches would know better, but it seems like by L9 it would be a bit harder for most girls to get all of those skills into just two passes and do them all well, while also showing strengths in both forward and backward tumbling.

Now that the season is winding down (we only have our State meet left), I was revisiting this post just for kicks. After attending many L7 meets and paying particular attention to this detail, I am firmly in the "less is more" camp. The routines that seem to score the best are those that meet the minimum requirements in a fabulous fashion. Routine doesn't have to be flashy, but the skills included need to be performed well.

Unfortunately, DD still has 3 passes in her routine long L7 routine (1:29) and she is still bearing the brunt of the extra opportunity for deductions. She is not a powerful tumbler and her 3 passes are not performed with perfection. 2 of them are much better than the 3rd and those 2 fulfill the requirements, so removing that 3rd pass would most definitely improve her score. Oh well...season is almost over and the routine will not be changed. Just hoping to improve a bit between now and the State meet.

In Level 7 my daughter had 3 passes. RO BHS LO full twist, FHS Pike, RO BHS BLO. She scored 9.5+ Every time with three passes. As a Level 8 she does 3 passes as well. RO BHS BLO full twist, FHS FLO Tuck, and RO Whip back tuck or FHS Pike depending on her warm up. All have been scoring well.

well, its always a gamble taking stuff out - DD took out an element from her floor last weekend (trying to bump from low 9s to mid-high 9s)...and it messed up her dance so much her routine lost all its sparkle...also took big step on one tumbling pass (which hasn't happened all year...)...I would have liked her to stick with the low 9s! Of course, its coaches decision, but still I hate mid season changes!

well, its always a gamble taking stuff out - DD took out an element from her floor last weekend (trying to bump from low 9s to mid-high 9s)...and it messed up her dance so much her routine lost all its sparkle...also took big step on one tumbling pass (which hasn't happened all year...)...I would have liked her to stick with the low 9s! Of course, its coaches decision, but still I hate mid season changes!

Yeah, I agree on the mid season changes being difficult. I just wish the construction was different from the start. My DD is great at dance, leaps, jumps and flexibility, so why not add more of that and minimize the potential for tumbling deductions.

Part of the issue is just that they don't practice their floor routines enough; crowded gym and hard to get enough time on floor to do full routines.

DD's floor routine was tweaked last week to give the OPTION of moving from three tumbling lines to four (in her instance the fourth and fifth lines are bonus). She has tried it both ways, and at the next couple of meets they'll decide during warm up which she'll do. I can't imagine prepping for that!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back