Parents L8 Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So sorry to hear the mishap! Now that it happened, first thing first. Let her heal then think about what's comes after.

Granny,

Just reading this all now, didn't see it before. So sorry to hear about K's injury! We were in the same boat last year but thankfully been in a sectional already. Is this the first big injury? This year on my DD's new team there is a very talented L5, she sweeps all awards every meet effortlessly with 38's AA. Back in October right after season started she feel off bars and shattered her arm. She just got pins out in Dec and started training but missed all sectionals. They did petition for her and she is going to states. She recently attended her forst meet back from injury and after a 3 month injury still swept awards and got over 37AA. I think if the coaches can establish (high scores) that the 4 meets your DD was in before injury would have certainly qualified her at sectionals, she will be allowed. Maybe it is stricter at the upper levels, but I have a feeling she will get to states and compete. In the meantime huge ((HUGS)) for both of you. When my DD fractured her heal it left us both frustrated. Sounds like K is using this time to get healthier with her eatting so those bones will be ready to go when that foot comes out of the cast!

I missed this post too! I am so sorry to hear about K's injury, she was having such a great season too! I am glad that they are able to petition her into state. I will send her fast healing faries so she is in tip top shape for State!

Good luck to both of you!

Thanks everyone. She is still training her normal days and is getting some crazy upper body strength and core. She is also doing quite of bit work with the "bum" leg. It's just the foot. Her thigh muscle is perfectly capable of working, so she is doing leg stuff for the thigh muscle. The bad part is that her cast comes up to below her knee, although it is her foot that is broke her poor calf muscle is just withering in the cast and all she can do to try to keep it is to scrunch her toes and that somewhat tightens her calf!

Of course her cast is coming off the day after we return from Texas (yes, we are still going) and I will take all prayers that she is heeled and will not need a boot. States will be the weekend of 3/20, so that would give her plenty of time to PT and come back. The great thing is that she is repeating this level so it is not like she just got the skills she needed and there is fear she will lose them. She has had everything and the coaches will be able to strip down her routines.

I am doing everything I can for her to come back because that is what she wants. Worst case scenario is that she doesn't get to compete. I get it, she's just 13, it's not the end of the world and in 20 yrs this is not what would be on the top of her list, but in the here and now it's very important for her.

She is starting to get very excited about Texas and is looking for space on her cast for the elites to sign after the elite session.

If anyone has any stories of broke bones that heeled quicker than expected - feel free to post them here or PM me. I need encouraging thoughts and stories!!! ;)

If anyone has any stories of broke bones that heeled quicker than expected - feel free to post them here or PM me. I need encouraging thoughts and stories!!! ;)

Beetle's ankle healed quicker than I anticipated. Just like K, since she had the skills she was able to pick right back up where she left off. I am sure K will do the same. Is it possible for them to put K in a boot sooner? then she can work the strength and flexibility? The Dr. did it for Hayden with VERY STRICT Instructions, if she walks on it.. it goes in a cast for weeks...

Good luck and have fun in TX! When do you leave?

Unfortunately I already tried with the Dr and she is in her cast until 2/16 - bummer, I know, but probably all for the best. We will be leaving for TX on Friday, 2/12 (I'm going to call the airline to get a wheelchair for dd while at the airport.)

If it was Summer, I'd consider throwing her into a pool and then go back to the Dr and ask for a re-cast or boot since the cast was soaked! :D

Dd did ask if she could swim in TX - I was like, no you can't, you do not have a swimming cast. She really wants to go in the pool if the other girls go. I started to think that if I triple or quadruple wrap her cast she could probably go in. I mean where's the harm, she's getting the cast off on the Tuesday we come back... am I crazy to think like this? :p

Beetle's ankle healed quicker than I anticipated. Just like K, since she had the skills she was able to pick right back up where she left off. I am sure K will do the same. Is it possible for them to put K in a boot sooner? then she can work the strength and flexibility? The Dr. did it for Hayden with VERY STRICT Instructions, if she walks on it.. it goes in a cast for weeks...

Good luck and have fun in TX! When do you leave?

Dd did ask if she could swim in TX - I was like, no you can't, you do not have a swimming cast. She really wants to go in the pool if the other girls go. I started to think that if I triple or quadruple wrap her cast she could probably go in. I mean where's the harm, she's getting the cast off on the Tuesday we come back... am I crazy to think like this? :p

Nah, I'd do the same thing! What's a few days anyway??
FWIW, Beth got a boot after the cast--we were so hoping for NOT, but it just works out that way. Probably best in the long run, but so hard when it's right in the middle of competition season.

Thanks Cathi - I'm going to try to figure out what I can do for her and if I can come up with some kind of "cover" I think I will let her go in. With all that is planned I do not even know if there will be time for swimming!

I have been following Beth's progress because I am pretty sure that we will be hitting PT after the cast comes off just like Beth. I think if the Dr. puts her in a boot (my dd that is), she will be devistated. She has this plan to come back for States and I think that she will feel defeated if there is a delay. I know it will be for the right reasons but dd will still be upset. Right now, from when the cast comes off until States is a little over 4 weeks. That would work easily, but a boot might throw a wrench into the picture! I hate waiting and that's all I can do at the moment! :mad:

How's Beth's PT coming?

Nah, I'd do the same thing! What's a few days anyway??
FWIW, Beth got a boot after the cast--we were so hoping for NOT, but it just works out that way. Probably best in the long run, but so hard when it's right in the middle of competition season.

I would do the same thing! Like you said.. she gets it off a few days after you get back anyway!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back