Level 4 floor back handspring question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

5pomolos

My daughter just finished her first level 4 meet and loved it. However, she still doesn't have her back handspring. She is working on it and is very close :) How much of a deduction is taken for a roundoff without the back handspring? Would it be better to have a spotter or just continue without it until she finally gets it? Thanks!

Its pretty expensive to skip a skill. The judges can take the value of the skill plus a deliberate omission deduction. It could cost her over a point. A spot is up to 5 tenths plus value of the skill dependant on how much she is spotted.

Deliberate Omission of L4 BHS: 1.2 (value of element (.6) x 2)
Spotted BHS: 1.1 (value of element (.6) + .5 spotting deduction)

So, there is only a .1 difference...EXCEPT if she does it and is spotted she will receive all of the execution deductions. So, bent legs, arms, rebound, etc. It is typically "cheaper" to deliberately omit rather than spot at L4.

Would you know how long it typically takes to learn a back handspring? Is everyone different? My daughter has been competing Level 3 this fall but is being moved to Level 4. Her first meet is in 2 months and she doesn't have it yet!!! I am clueless when it comes to gymnastics so I don't know if there's anything I can do to help her learn it when she's away from the gym. Any suggestions?

It took daughter well over a year to accomplish it on her own without a spot. She could do it long before that but then got scared. I think every child is different. She picked up a front punch within a day or so.

I think they are about the same. It a coach even touches you it is 5 tenths. And back handspring is a requirement, so if she does not do it im pretty sure her start value will be a 9.5 instead of 10.0.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back