WAG Level 4 through 7 various combinations, benefits/disadvantages of each

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My kids gym did 4,5,7 (one full season of each) for years, now they are switching to 4, score out of 5, and a full season of 6, then 7. The score out meet is soon, and I'm not sure the plan if a gymnast didn't score out of 5. It will be interesting to see how this works out from now on, since my kiddo will be to that point within a year or two.

Mine has done two years at 4, then 5 and will likely do 6 this year. Getting timing down on bars has always been a challenge for her and this extra year before 7 will be good for her. She's infinitely happier now knowing that the pressure for L7 bars is off her a bit. Her other events are all really strong, she was floor and vault champ in L5 provincial championships this spring. Having this waiting place at 6 will be great for her confidence and she can use her upgraded skills on other events while she gets bars up to par. We do have kids who go from 5 to 7 but it isn't common at our gym, we're a slow but steady kind of place.

Our current plan with an example:

In fall 2014, Julia did a full fall season of 4. She did pretty well and showed that she had mastered the fundamentals of level 4: a straight arm kip connected to a horizontal cast, strong tap swings, a decent front handspring vault, a strong front handspring, RO + BHS + BHS with acceleration, cartwheel and handstand hold on beam.
In fall 2015, she did a full fall season of 5. She did pretty well and showed that she had mastered the fundamentals of level 5: a clearhip and flyaway, a back and front tuck, a BWO or BHS on beam.
In winter/spring 2016, she did a short season of level 6 with three invitationals and states. She competed whatever difficulty she could do well.
In winter/spring 2017, she was a strong level 7 with giants, BWO/BHS on beam, front lay on floor, ext.
In winter/spring 2018, she will be a strong level 8 with a double back on bars, a flipping vault, BHS/BHS and back tuck on beam, ext.

This works for us. The transition from 5 to 6 is rather easy, and it gives them time to train the skills to be good level 7s, and then good level 8s. It also lets them "taste" optionals and decide if they want to put in the time and money commitment. There are always a few who do that short level 6 season and then decide to leave gymnastics or switch to Xcel. That's okay too.

Completely agree! Our gym does NOT rush girls from 4-7 or 5-7. If a girl is TRULY ready, she will go from 5-7, but *most* compete a year of 5, a year of 6, then a year of 7. This is actually very common for *most* gymnasts at the larger, well known gyms in our state and area. The girls that move through compulsories and thoroughly develop skills end up being strong optional gymnasts. We had girls transfer to our gym after frustration at other gyms because they were struggling as L7 or L8, our gym noticed many areas of weakness that weren't completely developed and moved them back to L6. Our region competes fall through spring, with states in the Spring. Our region is strong, and I truly feel it is because the gyms producing the region gymnasts allowed full development in compulsories.

You really have to look at it on an individual basis. My dd did one year at old lv 3, 1 year at new level 3, scored out of lv 4 and lv 5 at one meet, then did one year at 6, 7, and 8, currently training lv 9. The jump from lv 3 to lv 6 was tough, but doable for my gymnast. I'm not going to say it was an easy road, but for her, it was the right path. Trust the coaches, they have your daughters best interest in mind.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back