Parents level 5 bar dismount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a question about the level 5 dismount on bars. My daughter has been told different things by her different coaches, and I was curious what the "correct" answer to her question is. She turns to her left when dismounting. What are her hands supposed to do? First her right hand. One coach told her she must regrasp the bar and another told her just to "touch" the bar. Next, her left hand. Can it remain in the "original grip" or does it also have to turn. If the 2nd hand must release and turn, does it have to touch the bar at the end of the turn also? What is the deduction if it doesn't? I hope this all makes sense:) Thanks for any insight! Our first meet of the season is next weekend and dd is stressing!

let me clarify. the dismount, swing 1/2 turn, is done from a "regular" grip, or palms facing away from the body. if you turn left, you will have to let go of the bar with your right hand to accommodate a left turn.

once you let go, and the body begins turning left, the left hand/wrist will glide and shift around the bar as the body turns. when the left turn is complete, and the body is now on the other side of the high bar and then facing the bar once again, the left hand will have arrived in what's called a reverse grip, or palm facing the body. the gymnast will not let go of the bar for this to take place.

the right hand will come in to contact with the bar in a "regular" grip once again once the turn is complete. when both hands are on the bar for that brief moment, that is called a "mixed" grip. 1 (left) is in reverse grip and the other (right) in a regular grip.

another "tutorial" for those that have had their morning coffee...:)

Thanks everyone, especially Dunno. My dd now understands exactly what she needs to do! Hopefully that first level 5 meet goes smoothly....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back