Level 5 beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jennemmy

Proud Parent
On the elements where you have high kicks, should you kick as high as you can (and still maintain form) or only horizontal to the hip? Is there a deduction for holding handstand longer than 1 sec?

As long as the kicks are meeting the minimum requirement (which I think is at least horizontal...no book in front of me), that is what we are looking for. Anything higher isn't better or worse. There is no deduction for holding the HS longer.

Last edited:
Is that true for tap swings on the bars too? Achieve horizontal but no benefit to going higher?

Going above what is required in compulsory routines does not get the gymnast any "bonus" points. Certainly if they can cast above horizontal with good form then do it---it will help at the next level.
You only get into bonus tenths at L9/10.

Thanks for the help. We just got back from her meet. 8.7 on beam (skills were all there but lots of wobbles throughout). 8.8 on bars. It looked fab to me so I expected higher but the judging was tough. Lots of 6 & 7's out there. If a lvl 5 is in the 9 - 11 age group are they judged differently than the 7/8yo? Another 8.8 didn't have horiz tap swings and struggled on long hand kip but her score was identical. She was 7.

If a lvl 5 is in the 9 - 11 age group are they judged differently than the 7/8yo? Another 8.8 didn't have horiz tap swings and struggled on long hand kip but her score was identical. She was 7.

I've sat next to judges during our meets and I inputted scores into the system. The score cards do NOT contain any ages of the gymnasts. So, it would seem that the judges are not made privy to the ages. And as such, should have been judging based on skills and execution and not influenced by age.

I've sat next to judges during our meets and I inputted scores into the system. The score cards do NOT contain any ages of the gymnasts. So, it would seem that the judges are not made privy to the ages. And as such, should have been judging based on skills and execution and not influenced by age.

Our cards say CH 9 -11 or CH 12+, etc. My guess is they prob don't pay attention to that. The 7yo is adorable to watch and you can't help but root for her.

Our cards say CH 9 -11 or CH 12+, etc. My guess is they prob don't pay attention to that. The 7yo is adorable to watch and you can't help but root for her.

You now jennemmy, I think you are right. Now that I think about it more, there are age groups on the score cards. I stand corrected!

Typically we have no idea what age group we are judging. The only time we look is when we are asked to avoid ties by the Meet Director. But, we don't look at the age group prior to the routine, only after when determining if that score has already been used. Avoiding ties is a very rare occurance and only happens at certain YMCA meets, since they don't break ties with all-around, and meets were only a certain amount of girls "get out", so HS Sections, Regionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back