WAG Level 6 bars question (regarding casts)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A cast to handstand is not required when getting to the squat on. Just cast and get your feet up. In optionals all casts have to be at handstand if you don't want to take any deductions AT ALL. So if you go kip cast free hip on the low bar the last needs to be vertical to avoid ANY deductions. The when you just to the high bar and kip cast giant or free hip that cast also must be vertical to avoid any deductions.
But in level 6 and 7 there are minimum cast height requirements in order to even start at a 10. I believe in L6 cast have to reach horizontal and in L7 they have to be 45 degrees. If you reach those minimums then your bar routine will start at a 10 BUT if that is as high as they go then you will be assessed up to 0.3 for each cast that doesn't reach handstand. If a routine goes really wrong and you don't reach the minimum requirements your start values are 9.5 AND you still get the lack of height deduction. Gets really painful really fast!

This isn't related to the OP, but this explains why my bar routine my first year of level 9 had an 8.9 SV. I missed all my cast handstands, had no flight element, and was also missing bonus. ;)
The routine was kip cast on low, free hip hand, free hip hand, half pirouette, squat on, kip cast, giant, giant, double back flyaway.
I consistently scored mid to low 7s. ;)

To the OP....Kipper could cast to handstand in November, and was able to kip into it by February. She was afraid of the high bar, and it took another month before she would hit handstand on it, and several more months before they were consistent. She isn't naturally strong on bars, and struggles even more with fear than strength. Your dd's progress could be faster or slower, obviously, but I thought it might help to have a comparison. Kipper's bar routines with horizontal casts scored in the mid-high 8's. She scored low 9's once her low bar casts hit handstand. Her clear hip usually hit horizontal, which satisfied the "B" requirement. On one occasion, it did not, and her start value was listed as 9.7. I think her score that meet was 8.5. (2 horizontal+ casts, but not handstand)

To the OP....Kipper could cast to handstand in November, and was able to kip into it by February. She was afraid of the high bar, and it took another month before she would hit handstand on it, and several more months before they were consistent. She isn't naturally strong on bars, and struggles even more with fear than strength. Your dd's progress could be faster or slower, obviously, but I thought it might help to have a comparison. Kipper's bar routines with horizontal casts scored in the mid-high 8's. She scored low 9's once her low bar casts hit handstand. Her clear hip usually hit horizontal, which satisfied the "B" requirement. On one occasion, it did not, and her start value was listed as 9.7. I think her score that meet was 8.5. (2 horizontal+ casts, but not handstand)

Thank you - that definitely does help.

Thanks for sharing. I have l 6 DD- I had no idea. I just thought had to be horizontal. Nice to understand more about these deductions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back