Level 6 "Practice Meet"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
DD had her first level 6 "practice meet" last night at her brand new gym (not only new to her, but new-new... only opened 5 weeks ago). There was a judge, so while not "sanctioned," it should give them a fairly good idea of what to expect next week when they have their first real meet.

Scores:

Beam: 8.6... scale looked kinda wonky but otherwise a beautiful routine, I thought.
Vault: 8.5... no comment... I don't know a good vault from a bad vault. If they get over the table they look pretty much the same to me.
Floor: 7.8... usually one of her best events, but the tucks still aren't as consistant or as pretty as they should be. The rest of it looks nice, though, so once she starts to nail those tucks, she should be golden.
Bars: 6.5... always the event she's slowest to "get good" at, but she got through the whole routine. She hit her toes on the high bar during her fly-away.
AA: 31.4

The good: Her AA score was the highest out of the 6 level 6's at her gym. Not bad for a girl who came from a YMCA program only 5 weeks ago! The HC told her that, if she works hard, she could be one of those gymnasts that people stop and watch and say, "Wow! She's good!"

She's the oldest girl out of the level 6's (she'll be competing as an 11-year-old... Feb. birthday) and she seems to have appointed herself "team captain." I watched her get the other girls sitting down and settled before floor, move to sit next to a girl who fell off the beam (several times) to give her a big hug, and always being the first to "high five" any girl coming off an event. It was very sweet. Add "leadership skills" to the things she's learning from gymnastics! ;)

The bad: The coach says that if she doesn't fix the "hitting toes during fly-away" thing, she won't let her compete bars next week. Her mantra is "I'll let them compete every event they can compete safely" and whacking your toes as you're spinning towards the ground definitely qualifies as "not safe." DD doesn't seem worried though. She says, "HC will work with me on it this week. I'll get it." LOVE her confidence! :)

That is a great AA for a mock meet, she will get better and better.

I assume that along with the coach saying she needs to stop hitting her feet on the bars she is taking her back to basics on the flyaway and therefore removing the possibility that she will just keep doing it because she doesn't know how not too? Wow that was a huge sentence, but I am sure you get my drift!

That is a great AA for a mock meet, she will get better and better.

I assume that along with the coach saying she needs to stop hitting her feet on the bars she is taking her back to basics on the flyaway and therefore removing the possibility that she will just keep doing it because she doesn't know how not too? Wow that was a huge sentence, but I am sure you get my drift!
Not sure. Dd said something about "timing drills"? I assume she wants her to go back to doing them into the pit. Smacking your toes on the bar might hurt, but falling on your head/neck/back/insert crucial body part here because you smacked your toes on the bar (which she didn't do last night but it seems like it could happen) would be worse.

Sounds like the coach is aware of the issue if he's doing timing drills with her into the pit! yes, I agree... whacking feet on bar as you're spinning toward the ground is NOT a good or safe thing to do! I'm sure she will get it tho... that's a great AA for a first time Level 6 meet! She's on her way!

She did great for a first level 6 meet! I am sure she will just go up from there. So glad she is enjoying her new gym!!

great job !level 6 is known for tough judging. certainly want to fix that flyaway, im sure it didn't feel good smack her toes

Well done to her. It is all sounding good. Even the bad bit about her bars sounds like she has safe and positive coaching! the team leader thing is wonderful, must bring a little tear to your eye.

I agree with her coach, as I told you when you were thinking about switching gyms. She was really quite advanced for a level 5 at the hours and equipment she was working with previously.

Sounds like she can fix some of the bars issues and bring her score up, the other scores are really pretty good for this early in the season at level 6.

Sounds like she had a great time. I love the way her coach thinks. Way to many gyms/coaches let gymnasts compete skills that are really unsafe. cough tsuk level 8 cough ;) its great how confidednt she is and i bet she will fix it in no time.

Yes, I also like the fact that safety is the deciding factor... Not whether or not she's likely to get a certain score or whatever. It's good to know that she has my child's well-being in mind. I have been blown away by her from the beginning.

So nice to read that she is thriving at her new gym. ;) I had to laugh at what you wrote about the vault; made me giggle because I've thought the same thing. :)

Sounds like she had a great "practice" meet. And sounds like she and the coach have the "toe tappin" issue under control. So sweet that she was the "big sister" of the team. Its great to hear she is doing so well at her new gym

Great practice meet and at a brand new gym to boot! The coach sounds totally awesome and seems to really takes the kids safety into consideration. I LOVE your dd's confidence and natural willingness to take the role as team leader! It sounds like she is certainly thriving at the new gym and she will only get better and better.

And I think the same way about vault as well--I have no idea how they score that event!!

"Vault: 8.5... no comment... I don't know a good vault from a bad vault. If they get over the table they look pretty much the same to me."

I'm completely with you on this one. I think I know a good vault when I see one, but I couldn't tell you whether it's an 8.8 or 9.3. Your DD did great -- I wish our gym did mock meets. DD's new coaches don't give scores, so I have no idea how she's doing. Level 6 definitely has a different feel to it.

Sounds like a great first meet. I am impressed that even after she hit her toes she wasn't phased. My daughter did that and it took her a bit to get over it. I love how she took care of her teammates - a real reflection of the time and effort you have put into her - Good job Momma!

Nice scores for first L6 meet. Sounds like Kathy is doing great at her new gym!! Great to know that you made the right choice and knowing that the coach is putting safety first!! That flyaway can be tricky!! We have a girl that had it and from hitting her feet is now afraid to let go of the bar!

Nice scores for first L6 meet. Sounds like Kathy is doing great at her new gym!! Great to know that you made the right choice and knowing that the coach is putting safety first!! That flyaway can be tricky!! We have a girl that had it and from hitting her feet is now afraid to let go of the bar!
Yes, I'm a bit worried about this as well, but she is very motivated by competition, one of those kids who looks better in comps than she does in practice. I suspect and I hope that with her first meet less than a week away, she won't allow herself the luxury of a fear right now, but we shall see.

Great coach--slow and steady gets you to states. Sounds like Kathy is doing quite well and I'm very impressed with her leading the team.

Love your quote!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back