WAG Level 7 bar question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow - that girl in the video above was tiny! And how old was she? - looked like 7 or 8 max. Doing a double layout and whatever the heck that move was on the high bar! These kids are amazing.

My DD did bent leg Giants on the low bar as one of the first steps toward getting her giant - it helped her learn how to shift her grip and get the feeling of going around, and was a lot less scary - also could work on her own w/o much spotting. However, as soon as she could get around w/ straight legs on the high bar they never allowed her to bend legs again.

I've seen kids bend their legs on their Giants during meets to get over and save a fall - it seems like judges crush them score wose when they do this - one girl got a 5 once when she did that in her routine (w/ no fall).

What about a toe hand? Are they okay/common for L7?

I believe they are allowed, as is a stalder - they can be used instead of the free hip. I never saw one though - my DD says they are very hard and most people can do free hips much better so that's why you never see them at meets. Our gym really doesn't start focusing on teaching those two skills (toe hand and stalder) until L9, or after the gymnast has perfected a free hip to handstand.

What was the move she did on the high bar? She changed direction but it wasn't in a handstand like a pirouette and didn't appear to be a release move either.
It was her B release . Fulfilled that requirement since she was too small to do a pak

My DD said she does a "bent leg" giant...? I wouldn't think it would be allowed but her coaches said it is...??
If the legs are bent on the underside, I *think* it is allowed, as long as the body is straight thru the knees (to clear the floor) ... I base this on the illustration for the low bar giant with 180° turn - which shows the 90° bend at the knees on the bottom of the swing.

DD is competing l 7 for the second time. Hopefully moves up during meet season. She was asking if this routine has a 10 SV now that she finally has a giant. Kip. Pike on jump to HB. Kip cast HS or at least to above 45. Clear Hip to 45 Giant Giant Flyaway. I think this is missing an A. Is that .2? or do they count the second giant as an A like they do the Clear hip as a B. Also if she does a sole circle after the pike on that should be the 5th A correct? HC wasn't sure she didn't have her COP at the gym. They have a week before 1st meet. They would like as few casts as possible.
DD's 7 routine was similar. Kip, squat on, jump to high bar. Kip cast HS, clear hip to HS, giant, giant, straight body flyaway. Very simple and I have no idea what the A or B skills are (bad mom, I know) but I'm guessing the clear hip to HS helps the score (vs. to 45)...she won state and regional meet with that routine.

Reactions: sce
DD's 7 routine was similar. Kip, squat on, jump to high bar. Kip cast HS, clear hip to HS, giant, giant, straight body flyaway. Very simple and I have no idea what the A or B skills are (bad mom, I know) but I'm guessing the clear hip to HS helps the score (vs. to 45)...she won state and regional meet with that routine.
Kip- A
Squat on- A
Kip- A
Cast handstand- B
Clear hip handstand- C
Giant- B
Giant- B
Flyaway- A

So what could be the bare bones bar routine that would get the 5 As and 2 Bs.....

A- Kip
A- squat on
A- Kip
B- CHS
B- Clear hip to 45 OR to handstand....C skill gets B credit
B-giant
A- flyaway.

Does the third B skill then count and the 5th A?

So what could be the bare bones bar routine that would get the 5 As and 2 Bs.....

A- Kip
A- squat on
A- Kip
B- CHS
B- Clear hip to 45 OR to handstand....C skill gets B credit
B-giant
A- flyaway.

Does the third B skill then count and the 5th A?
Yes, the A can be replaced by a B.

Woop woop!!! Now I'm going to rant a bit!
My munchie pulled off the routine!!!
Short but sweet:
Kip
Squat on
Kip
CHS
Freehip to HANDSTAND!!!!
Giant
Flyaway.
She was sooooooo happy and so were her coaches! All the parents were clapping, and I had tears in my eyes.
She worked so hard, and got it. She loves bars.

Short but sweet:
Kip
Squat on
Kip
CHS
Freehip to HANDSTAND!!!!
Giant
Flyaway.
She was sooooooo happy and so were her coaches! All the parents were clapping, and I had tears in my eyes.
Yay, congrats to her!

Short but sweet:
Kip
Squat on
Kip
CHS
Freehip to HANDSTAND!!!!
Giant
Flyaway.
That is SO awesome!

Short but sweet:
Kip
Squat on
Kip
CHS
Freehip to HANDSTAND!!!!
Giant
Flyaway.

Yay!! So happy for her!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back