WAG Level 7 beam 'up to level'

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In a perfect world they would all do the harder series. Pushing before they are mentally ready will only cause stress. That stress will bleed into other things till they crash and burn all over the place. Sometimes for some it is best to move sideways in order to move forward. Sadly not all coaches see that as an option.
Agreed.....which is why Im glad there is no 'up to level' in L7. I asked the coach last night and she said there was no problem with whatever series so long as it can be performed clean. So good...phew-
I am big on NOT stressing my kid before meets as it does a lot of harm when trying to put their game face on. Beam is an event where my dd gets stressed with. She did last year too. Bars however, she sees no problem in trying the harder stuff.....( I am white as a ghost with bars now)

Her coach is working the harder beam skills on the floor and when she feels ready to put it up, she will.......Im so proud of her....
Im scared this L7 season, we are not in 'L4 land' anymore Toto!!! I am stressed out with the upcoming trips!!!
So get ready CB family for all my stupid, repetitive, CGM questions!!!! It allows me to be calm in the real world! LOL

Agreed.....which is why Im glad there is no 'up to level' in L7. I asked the coach last night and she said there was no problem with whatever series so long as it can be performed clean. So good...phew-
I am big on NOT stressing my kid before meets as it does a lot of harm when trying to put their game face on. Beam is an event where my dd gets stressed with. She did last year too. Bars however, she sees no problem in trying the harder stuff.....( I am white as a ghost with bars now)

Her coach is working the harder beam skills on the floor and when she feels ready to put it up, she will.......Im so proud of her....
Im scared this L7 season, we are not in 'L4 land' anymore Toto!!! I am stressed out with the upcoming trips!!!
So get ready CB family for all my stupid, repetitive, CGM questions!!!! It allows me to be calm in the real world! LOL
If it helps any, this is my daughter's first optional year. We've only had a few meets (knock on wood), but she is performing surprisingly better as an optional than she did as a compulsory. So try to keep the faith! The bars are killing me! I can't watch anymore!! :D

In a perfect world they would all do the harder series. Pushing before they are mentally ready will only cause stress. That stress will bleed into other things till they crash and burn all over the place. Sometimes for some it is best to move sideways in order to move forward. Sadly not all coaches see that as an option.
Yes.

Meets bring their own stress and pressure. I am just fine if my kid does a skill she is more comfortable with and hitting more consistently. Practice is the place for getting those more difficult skills. And when they are comfortable and mostly consistent in practice, then they are meet ready.

This is absolutely true - THANK GOODNESS for the coaches who recognize the girls are all different and some can be pushed, some can't, some need to go sideways, some might go back a bit but then they figure out how to get them moving forward again.....truly these coaches are treasures.
The last thing girls need is additional stress if they cannot handle it -

AND as gymmommy71 says:
"sometimes there are things more important than scoring as high as possible - as time goes on I'm starting to appreciate this more."
I am in the same boat. I used to think about it in terms of optimizing scores - but now that are starting the world of optionals (first yr of L8 - with DD trying to get some sort of compete-able bar routine together!) I have to say I couldn't agree more. It's just NOT about the scores - there is so, so much more.

A follow up question to the up-to-level/composition deduction for L8 beam - how does a round off BT dismount compare in difficulty (or desirability to see in the routine) to a BHS BT dismount?

A follow up question to the up-to-level/composition deduction for L8 beam - how does a round off BT dismount compare in difficulty (or desirability to see in the routine) to a BHS BT dismount?

They compare equally. Both are a B flight skill connected to an A dismount. Round-off might actually be better if the gymnast has a backward series because then the round-off fills the front/side requirement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back