WAG Level 8 "up to level" standards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks so much for the analysis! I'm sure she can live with the .05 (or even .1) deduction for level. I was just hoping she wasn't getting dinged for .3. And the pause....a .1 is a heck of a lot better than a .5 for a fall! She had no other big stops in the routine. Just the BIG pause before the dismount.

She has been struggling with her flight since....the beginning of time....so I was VERY happy with her performance and score.

Great routine!!! Do you mind sharing her score??

Best quote ever- just stay on the beam and don't die on the vault! The mantra for Level 8!!!

This is beyond true - I had heard it from others when my kid was at lower levels, but I had NOT IDEA just how 100% true this is until I sat through my first L8 meet session. All of a sudden, and I had to see it for myself, I fully realize this L8 thing is scary stuff (and this is when all the kids are starting to really learn the scary stuff for the first time!)!
(As a coach at our gym says who also judges, the worst/scariest thing to be a judge of is L8 vault. Yep, I see that now.)

This is beyond true - I had heard it from others when my kid was at lower levels, but I had NOT IDEA just how 100% true this is until I sat through my first L8 meet session. All of a sudden, and I had to see it for myself, I fully realize this L8 thing is scary stuff (and this is when all the kids are starting to really learn the scary stuff for the first time!)!
(As a coach at our gym says who also judges, the worst/scariest thing to be a judge of is L8 vault. Yep, I see that now.)
Yes - at our meet this weekend, most of our team scratched vault. Our gym owner was sitting near vault and said he saw some SCARY stuff happening. Our gym tends to be pretty conservative in letting them do something if there is a safety issue involved. After dd breaking her fingers last year on vault, I can see why.

Yes - at our meet this weekend, most of our team scratched vault. Our gym owner was sitting near vault and said he saw some SCARY stuff happening. Our gym tends to be pretty conservative in letting them do something if there is a safety issue involved. After dd breaking her fingers last year on vault, I can see why.
Why not just have them vault a FHS or 1/2 on-1/2 Off. Something is better than a 0.

And DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES watch vault warmups at L8 :eek:

^^ this times 1,000

AND.....now I can fully appreciate why - after last year's L8 new vault rule (to promote safely) was put in place and then taken away after just a year - that there is something new on the table for next year's L7 vault so the girls aren't just doing a FHS yet again. (A timer of some sort getting ready for tsuks and such, I believe??)

My DD is doing a Yurchenko timer since I believe it's now a 9.0 start value according to her coach. I've seen some really scary L8 vaults and I'm glad she's doing the timer for now.
The funny thing is… the "Yurchenko Timer" (4.101 RO, FF on - Repulsion with flight to feet off) has the same start value as the FHS (1.101) and the Roundoff (1.106 1/4-1/2 twist on - repulsion with flight to feet off).

If she can add a twist to the repulsion off part, the SV would go up little. :)

we had kids do timers and Y's this weekend in a run through meet- good timers scored as good as decently executed Ys...food for thought- we also only did the on vault rule- ie if you did your Y and you landed it - you were done- I like that rule =)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back