Level 9 (and sort of 10) floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
My older dd's coaches have told the girls what they expect their tumbling passes to be this year for Level 9 floor and it seems to me that there is quite a difference in what can be done vs. what must be done. My dd's passes are supposed to be double back, back 3/2 twist to front layout, and double full. She has a very nice front handspring front layout, front layout, but they are not planning to use it - anyone want to guess why? Are there compositional deductions for not doing a front pass? These seem like slightly upgraded Level 9 passes, how much more upgrading will she need to make the minimum for Level 10? Her leap pass is switch leap (maybe switch ring), switch side, straddle full and she has a double turn.

Your thoughts...

yes. much easier if everyone just called it what it is.:) and the coach is headed in the right direction for level 10.

She will not get a compositional deduction for not having a front pass, the front layout after the 3/2 is enough to fulfill the requirement. These passes are on the upper end of difficulty for level 9, but not unusual. And it's 6 months till season starts. Now is the time for coach to push everyone a little and see who can step up.

I definitely think they are pushing to see who steps up and I think they are working for the future a ton. She thought it was strange that 9s last year competed easier passes, but scored extremely well - kind of risky to do the harder stuff from a scoring perspective, I would think. If it weren't for bars, part of me thinks they could do 9/10 in the same season. Theoretically speaking, do you think its better to be an "upgraded" 9 or a "barely there" 10?

PS - sorry about the improper fraction - I didn't think there was anything wrong with it...

Theoretically speaking, do you think its better to be an "upgraded" 9 or a "barely there" 10?

Good question......

If all I had to consider was my own point of view, I'd say it's better to be a year younger, and barely level 10. When I consider the reality of how that can stress some kids, deny some their just rewards, and really motivate others, I have to say it depends on the child. I know as a coach, with the many levels in the JO system, that in order to spend just a few years maturing as a level ten, you pretty much have to move one level per year or have to make it to level 4 by the age of seven.

Kids will often rise to the level around them, and that alone can give their skill level a considerable upward "bump". I know it may be hard to count on, but it happens that way for motivated kids. So moving up and sacrificing some success at level 9 may set your dd up for a more brilliant end to a successfull JO career.

I definitely think they are pushing to see who steps up and I think they are working for the future a ton. She thought it was strange that 9s last year competed easier passes, but scored extremely well - kind of risky to do the harder stuff from a scoring perspective, I would think. If it weren't for bars, part of me thinks they could do 9/10 in the same season. Theoretically speaking, do you think its better to be an "upgraded" 9 or a "barely there" 10?

PS - sorry about the improper fraction - I didn't think there was anything wrong with it...

no big deal, really. just different parts of the world, and even the US, have different names for a lot of the stuff. at least with me, i won't have to ask someone to clarify as i have in the past. i don't want to look stupid if i can help it.

to your question, that tumbling pass is highly prevalent with the 10's. this includes nationals. so it really comes down to skill selection and what the kids are proficient at doing, and then where that might take them within all the 'food (skills) groups' that gymnastics has to offer.:)

Usually bars and/or vault dictates whether a gymnast is a Level 9 or a Level 10. Many - most? - Level 9s can compete Level 10 on fx and beam. It's up to the coach, the aptitude of the gymnast, and the mentality and age of the gymnast, whether they would be happier and more successful at L9 or L10.

The fx passes you describe would earn .3 bonus at L10 (needing two more tenths) and .2 at L9 (needing one more tenth).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back