WAG Liukin just resigned

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You know, there are plenty of whack jobs out there to go around, and the internet makes it very easy for unhinged people to express their venom. I am sure that anyone who's been visible in this whole mess has been getting hostility and death threats, including the survivors, the prosecutor, and the judges. It is truly terrible, but unfortunately not unexpected, and probably hasn't yet run its course.

USAG is burning down right now, and it's still too early to tell what will rise from the ashes. I think that there are a lot of people out there of good will who want to move the sport of gymnastics forward into a new era in which coaching can be rigorous and demanding but still ultimately supportive, in which parents of aspiring elites are all encouraged to put the child ahead of the athlete, and in which athletes gain increasing autonomy and voice as they mature. I'm sure that many people who were critical parts of the old system can change, reorient themselves (some slightly, some very significantly) and survive and even thrive in a new system. People who've worked with the top coaches and technicians over several years probably already know who's capable of adapting and who isn't. I certainly don't.

I thought that one of the best things I've read from an insider was what Steve Legendre wrote about his resignation from the board. This is the kind of leadership that USAG or whatever replaces it will need going forward.

https://www.facebook.com/slegendre1/posts/10215515669475475

Nastia was at our meet this past weekend signing autographs, the very day valeri announced his resignation. He was actually there the first day of competition. I was surprised. I think I'd be laying low if receiving threats.

I agree with some of the others that Nastia’s comments come off as tone deaf.

It’s not unusual for someone who has enjoyed the privileges of nepotism and living in a bit of a bubble of favoritism to just not get it, in many walks of life.

I am a lot more impressed by the middle class kid at an Ivy League school, than by the the privileged kid who grew up in a bubble and is in the 1 to 6 percent of any new freshman class there due to “special status”-earned by huge previous donations to the school by a parent or grandparent.

Less would be more at this point from her. I remember thinking years ago watching her as the darling of “insiders” at meets in her stilettos on TV thinking she kind of acts like she is gymnastics “royalty.” She was clearly one of the darlings of those with the power in “the system.” Now that system has had some light shown on it, and some of it is really ugly.

Her sail was tied to that ship, she should hop in her own boat and do a lot of listening and learning if her plan is to be part of the future of the sport in this country. She is making her public image worse not better in recent weeks.

Seems a better tactic might be patience and modesty as the future takes shape. If she has a role to play it will become apparent over time through integrity and hard work.

USA Today ran an article that our team would not be competing at Jeslo. It is sad for the current athletes but I’m glad they are finally starting to take their safety seriously.

Who is in the running for the new NTC or are they even trying to fill that position now?

Reactions: sce
Nastia is part of the old regime. Her comments over the past few months show her true feelings and where her loyalty resides. She could have simply offered statements of support for victims, some of these young women I am sure she knows personally, and her status would be unchanged. She instead chose to support the broken system, in doing so either she shows her ignorance or her beliefs that the truth would not surface. I personally think she should ride off into the sunset with the rest.

I get the impression, that at the moment in the USA gymnastics community, there is a big expectation that everyone reacts to the situation in a very specific way, and that people who react differently are reacting the in the "wrong" way.

When any difficult situation or crisis occurs, different people will react in different ways. Some feel deep empathy for the victims, others might find it harder to do so and put themselves in the victims shoes, some react with anger, some react with fear, some like to pretend that there is nothing wrong at all, some people get defensive, some internalise and won't share how they feel, some feel sympathy for the perpertrater rather than the victims (usually they have major problems of their own), many will focus on the impact the situation has in their own life rather than in others.

There seems to be an expectation that the "right" way to feel right now, is to feel a deep empathy for the victims. But not everyone is emotionally capable of that. Also there seems to be an expectation that the "right" way to react is to put out a statement supporting the victims, but that is not the way everybody is wired to react.

I think fear, empathy, and anger have all been widely accepted responses. People with their eyes on how to make a successful future have been accepted, as well as the people filled with disbelief (not disbelief of the victims - just being gobsmacked that something like this could happen.) So no, I don't think there's only been one accepted way to respond.

If her response is me, me, me; I don't really care about the victims or what is going on except how it affects me, then she should stay quiet, honestly, unless she has something relevant to add to the conversation. I mean, of course she is free to do whatever she pleases, but it's not going to go over well, as we can see.

I was a bit younger than Nastia when I learned that sometimes the very smartest choice is just to be quiet and listen to what others are saying. Maybe she will learn that lesson here (though it doesn't look hopeful.)

I agree with some of the others that Nastia’s comments come off as tone deaf.

It’s not unusual for someone who has enjoyed the privileges of nepotism and living in a bit of a bubble of favoritism to just not get it, in many walks of life.

I am a lot more impressed by the middle class kid at an Ivy League school, than by the the privileged kid who grew up in a bubble and is in the 1 to 6 percent of any new freshman class there due to “special status”-earned by huge previous donations to the school by a parent or grandparent.

Less would be more at this point from her. I remember thinking years ago watching her as the darling of “insiders” at meets in her stilettos on TV thinking she kind of acts like she is gymnastics “royalty.” She was clearly one of the darlings of those with the power in “the system.” Now that system has had some light shown on it, and some of it is really ugly.

Her sail was tied to that ship, she should hop in her own boat and do a lot of listening and learning if her plan is to be part of the future of the sport in this country. She is making her public image worse not better in recent weeks.

Seems a better tactic might be patience and modesty as the future takes shape. If she has a role to play it will become apparent over time through integrity and hard work.

We may be going in circles here but this just kills me http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/03/04/nastia-liukin-larry-nassar-gymnastics/
Nastia Liukin : “I’m completely shocked when I heard all the news,” Liukin said on NBC. “Every encounter that I had with him was professional. My whole experience on the national team with USA Gymnastics was nothing but positive.”

Agreed on all points. Everyone has the right to react as they chose.

The problem comes when it's a business when money is being made when someone wants us to hand over our dollars and CHILDREN to them. Protecting whatever brand you endorse is your right but pretending the obvious did not happen is not appropriate. I chose to not support Nastia she is not the face of gymnastics for me or my family. Furthermore, as @Sk8ermaiden articulates sometimes silence is the appropriate response.

Thank you for sharing the link. I like what I am hearing so far.

Me too! The conversation following the post is wonderful, too. He seems like he understands what listening is all about. I'm glad to know someone is formulating a backup plan. And glad some of the comments bring up trying to "name" the root causes of what went wrong, so that they are sure they are fixing the right things in a new system.

I get the impression, that at the moment in the USA gymnastics community, there is a big expectation that everyone reacts to the situation in a very specific way, and that people who react differently are reacting the in the "wrong" way.
Also there seems to be an expectation that the "right" way to react is to put out a statement supporting the victims, but that is not the way everybody is wired to react.

I agree. Currently, our reactions are being very closely watched.

Feelings (experienced internally) and words (chosen to be shared publicly) are two very different things.

When stakes are high and emotions are high, words need to be carefully, thoughtfully selected.
It is the classic “Crucial Conversation” – just amplified to a larger audience.

I humbly recommend that public statements, from any of us affiliated with gymnastics,
should include some version of 3 key components:

1. “Let’s Listen”
2. “Let’s Learn”
3. “Let’s Change”

These words support the mindset that the entire gymnastics community should be embracing.
With benevolence, tirelessly advocating the importance of these 3 critical actions will help ensure meaningful, lasting change.
We should expect this from ourselves, and lead by example.

…my two cents

I agree. Currently, our reactions are being very closely watched.

Feelings (experienced internally) and words (chosen to be shared publicly) are two very different things.

When stakes are high and emotions are high, words need to be carefully, thoughtfully selected.
It is the classic “Crucial Conversation” – just amplified to a larger audience.

I humbly recommend that public statements, from any of us affiliated with gymnastics,
should include some version of 3 key components:

1. “Let’s Listen”
2. “Let’s Learn”
3. “Let’s Change”

These words support the mindset that the entire gymnastics community should be embracing.
With benevolence, tirelessly advocating the importance of these 3 critical actions will help ensure meaningful, lasting change. We should expect this from ourselves, and lead by example.

…my two cents

Your $0.02 is worth a million. I love this.

I stumbled across this post. I believe it is by Tom Forester, posted on his business page. I found it important enough to share. I know we all want to get rid of anyone who has any hint of the stink of the "old regime", but I believe that these voices and stories are also important to listen to. There are a lot of people hurting because of this.

https://www.facebook.com/unevenbarbootcamp/posts/1800123836687448

I stumbled across this post. I believe it is by Tom Forester, posted on his business page. I found it important enough to share. I know we all want to get rid of anyone who has any hint of the stink of the "old regime", but I believe that these voices and stories are also important to listen to. There are a lot of people hurting because of this.

https://www.facebook.com/unevenbarbootcamp/posts/1800123836687448
I read that and allowed it to sink in.. and I can’t help but wonder if Luikin should have just spoken up earlier. Admitted that he made mistakes in the past and coached in a way that he now believes to be wrong.. and that he views things differently now. Maybe then there could’ve been an important discussion about mistakes and change and moving forward? Maybe gymnasts could be free to say how his actions harmed them, and others to say he’s a new man now.. who knows. He chose to resign and never open a dialogue about his past vs his future.

He chose to resign and never open a dialogue about his past vs his future.

And I think the above is most unfortunate. Perhaps he did this because it's true to his nature, personality or upbringing. Perhaps he felt that making changes and letting that speak for itself rather than making a statement was the right way to go. If he is particularly private, I could see this thought process making sense to him. I'm not willing to villify him for it if that's the case. But in the end you are right, he chose this path. And we will probably never know everything.

To me Nastia is not qualified to be the athelets representative, I never feel she is a sincere person. She has already got too much benifits from this system, it is time to give in her position to someone who truly cares about the athelets. Her father still owns WOGA so the resign just means he is not the NTC anymore. He can still coach his athelets in WOGA in whatever way he wants. There are plenty Parents right here in this post who are eager to send their kids over. Many parents choose to ignore all the warning signs sent by other athelets who speaks up. Moving up and win are still those parents’s most priority. How sad!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back